Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: "The router does not support ip fragments, the internet for some games may be limited"

I have the same problem with getting the "Router may not support IP fragments" issue.

I fixed some problems I had earlier with the internet connection (wired) and managed to fix it. However i ran into the IP fragments problem, this didn't seem much of a problem though as I managed to play online but with major lag. When I quit playing online I immediately ran a internet connection test which passed IP, internet connection but failed PSN. Ran it again and it succeeded but got the error about IP fragments.

All these errors started after moving my PS3 from China (wired, worked perfectly) to Holland (wireless, also worked perfectly) and back again (wired, errors). The IP fragment part was not an issue before I took my PS3 with me to Holland. But now it is an issue while I didn't change anything about my internet setup.

Another thing, most of the times my NAT type 2, but in-game i noticed sometimes it displays moderate or open. In other words, my NAT type changes from time to time but is never on strict.

Any ideas for this one?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 38 (7,344 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: "The router does not support ip fragments, the internet for some games may be limited"

I'll do the last bit first, as I can answer that one! :smileyhappy:

NAT comes in 3 types:
NAT1 - you are connected directly to the internet - typically using an ethernet into a socket in the wall (provided by your ISP), or plugging directly into a modem.
NAT2 - connected to internet via a router, but with open ports (router allows traffic through as required)
NAT3 - connected to internet via a router, but some data is being blocked (typically by router firewall)

In order to play online with a PS3, NAT1 and 2 are equally as good as each other, but NAT3 isn't (and should be avoided / resolved)

Confusingly, NAT 1 and 2 are also referred to as 'open' or 'moderate' - and those terms apply to both NAT types.
Although usually (but far from always!) people mean NAT1 by 'open' and NAT2 by 'moderate'

'Strict' tends to refer to NAT3.

So you don't need to worry unless to goes to Strict - Open and Moderate are generally fine :smileyhappy:
(VERY occasionally 'moderate' may still block certain things that shouldn't be blocked - voice chat was a typical example from a few years ago. But this is pretty rare these days.)

As to the IP fragments - not sure I'm afraid :smileysad:

The only thing I can think of is that when you re-configure in Holland, it possibly increased the size of the MTU packets, to a size bigger than your China router / ISP likes :smileysad:
Or it may be that your Chinese ISP dropped the size of the MTU which it wants while you were away?

I'd suggest, possibly, decreasing the MTU.
In the PS3 network setup, choose manual, and skip through the screens until you get to MTU
it's probably set on 1500 or auto (auto seems to set the actual size to 1500).
Try dropping it to 1400, and keep going down until you stop getting the error message.
1000 is about the minimum to try before giving up on that as being the issue :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 38 (7,335 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks,
I wrote down the NAT part because I thought if I would foward some ports it would solve all my issues, but reading your explanation I guess that won't change anything so I don't need to bother :smileyhappy:.

Yesterday I already tried lowering down the MTU, i set it to 500-something which is the lowest possible in PS3 setting and this did not solve the issue.
I will mess around a little bit with the MTU again and see what happens...

Thanks,
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 38 (7,334 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

So, yesterday I had the problem with IP fragments. Today I intended to follow your suggestion on the MTU settings.. but.... now I am having problems with the internet connection. Can browse the internet which works fine, can obtain an IP address but can not get an internet connection. And get the 80710092 error.

THere are many threads about this error, and followed all suggestions I could find. Disable Media Server, reconfigure internet (automatic), reboot modem, router and PS3, change the date and time in the system, change the cable and tried another port. Nothing works.

I am using wired connection, which used to work perfectly. I did not change my internet setup at home, so I don't know what is wrong. One day it works, the other day it doesn't work. And when it works, i have the IP fragment issue...

Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 38 (7,329 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

just to confirm - you can browse the 'net (on your PS3?)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 38 (7,326 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yes I can browse the internet on the PS3.

I just finished port fowarding because i thought maybe this solves the problem. Before doing this I could browse the internet, and after doing this I can still browse the internet on my PS3. But problem not solved :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 38 (7,325 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I'm getting a bit lost now Tjeenk1 :smileysad:

You can browse the internet, but not get an internet connection?
Do you mean PSN connection?

sorry :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 38 (7,310 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Sorry haha :smileytongue:

I have internet connection meaning: I can browse the internet, this morning i downloaded stuff for NOW TV crap and watch the previews online.. so this is working fine.

However, wHen running an internet connection test it succesfully obtains an IP address, failes to get an internet connection. 2 days ago this was also a problem, but solved it by rebooting everything, but when online i had the IP fragment issue (was able to play online). When leaving the game and running the connection test again it failed to get an internet connection, BUT could still browse the internet on PS3.  Another time whilst runnign the connection test, IP address and internet connection was succesful, but PSN failed. So it is clearly a problem with this part.

So, I tried:

Disable Media Server

Reboot modem, router, ps3

Change date ( did this using the "according  to internet" setting and worked :smileywink: )

Changed ethernet cable and tried another port of my router

etc.

All the solutions that you can find about this i tried, but nothing works. I have modem -> my Belkin F5D8233-4v3 router -> wired PS3.

I noticed some new firmware for my router is available so will download this, but I doubt that solves the solution as I do have internet on my PS3. And can also try buying a different router, but unsure this solves the issue too.

So if you or anyone else have any other suggestions? :Help:

Thanks,

-- EDIT --

Maybe this will make things more easy to understand :smileyhappy: :

1) any error messages you are getting - "Connection to playstation network has timed out - 80710092"

2) when the problem happens - Trying to sign in and/or running the internet connection test

3) if you can actually sign in to PSN at all - NO

4) run the network connection test, and tell us where it fails - Internet Connecion Failed

5) who your ISP is - Think ChinaNet or China Telecom

6) what make and model your router is - Belkin F5D8233-4v3

7) how you connect your PS3 to the router -  wired, also tried wireless but same issue

8) if this is something which has never worked, or used to work - Used to work perfectly

9) what DNS servers you use (or tell us if you don't know what that means :smileyhappy:) - One provided by my ISP

10) if you have changed your MTU - YES

11) if your PS3 is in the router DMZ - No, tried to find out how to do this but no idea.. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 38 (7,294 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

TTDegs I read the following in one of your other threads:

Extra note - PS3s do NOT support the N or N+ wireless standard at time of writing (including and up to the 120Gb and 250Gb slims).

Buying an N or N+ wireless router may well speed up any other wireless devices you use (assuming they support it), but it won't help your PS3 wireless connection.

I do have an N router, you reckon this might be part of the problem? Still don't understand why at first everything did work though.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 38 (7,256 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Tjeenk1
whilst the PS3 doesn't support N or N+, MOST N and N+ routers do have backwards compatibility to 'g' - which is what the PS3 uses :smileyhappy:
How good they are at that backwards compatibility is another matter...
But ultimately isn't the issue here, as you are wired, so the N, N+ and g bits don't come into it, as they are wireless standards :smileyhappy:

Give the router firmware a go as the first step - it actually could make a big difference if the router itself is the cause of the problem.
And from your symptoms, I would say there is a good chance it is the router...

internet connections reporting as failed, when it patently can talk to the internet - something very screwy going on...

One more thing to check - before and after the firmware update.
When you do the PS3 network connection test, does it get as far as reporting the NAT type and UPnP status?
And if so, what does it say?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 38 (7,227 Views)
0 Kudos