19 May 2010
Playstation Staff

need help running PS3 on Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd

13 Replies 2,192 Views Created 19-05-2010

so i bought a tv/monitor so i could hook up my PC and PS3 on the same monitor in the same room. it works great with my PC, (its more PC mon than TV) but the image is perfect on PC.

it has 1 component in, 2 HDMI in, it even has a co-ax in. for all intents and purposes it is also a TV. but when i run the PS3 on it, the image is VERY aliased, or "jaggy". as in, playing a PC game with the resolution set very low and having the option to turn on anti-aliasing but leaving it off with the image looking really rough.

i know its not the monitor or the PS3 because i dont have any problems with the PS3 on our old 32" samsung CRT (first gen HDTV). the only problem is, the old 32" only supports 480p and 1080i. thats why i bought this 2333HD because it supports 480, 720 and 1080i/p.

does anyone have ANY tips or ideas on how to clean up this image? i made sure to get a 16:9 aspect ration monitor because i tried running the PS3 on my old monitor which was a 16:10 and the image would stretch.

theres also a setting within the TV thats called "just scan" which just allows the image to run in "native", i always leave it on that....

anyways, i would really appreciate some help. i love my monitor i just think something needs tweaked that im missing...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (2,192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: need help running PS3 on Samsung Syncmaster 2333hd

I guess the 2 big questions are:
what PS3 lead are you using - HDMI or component, and
what resolutions did you choose on the PS3?

:smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (2,170 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

use 1080P as settings, deselect all others.

In monitor setup do not use AV mode. It was working fine for me a week ago but now :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (2,177 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

sorry for lack of info here, let me try to simplify-

im using HDMI, i have tried in both slots, i have tried with component (cause this monitor has every input) i even tried the DVI input with an HDMI to DVI cable, all look the same.

i have auto detected best resolutions and i have selected all, or just 1080p, or 1080p and i, or 1080p and 720p. but it always has 480p as a default, so when i try to force 1080p (which isnt really good) it will always revert to 480p.

on my living room TV it supports ONLY 480p and 1080i, but that TV must have a GREAT upscaler because even 480p on that old 32" CRT looks better than 720p on my 2333hd.

i just figured out the best way to explain the way it looks.

its like either the PS3 or the TV is scaling correctly while the other isnt, or vice versa, does that make sense?

because the UI is perfect. nothing is cut off (like my living room CRT does in its faux widescreen mode) and it looks perfect...? its like one piece of hardware scales it correctly, while the other is trying to go the opposite direction and the image is left, black hole saturated.

also, noticed playing red dead redemption today, while inside houses, the shadows are "static" on my screen, like each dot stays put while i move around, and if i move the camera over a torch, the "dark shadow dots" disappear and reappear when i pass the light source up. its like im hanging a dark cloth in front of the screen and its stays put while my camera moves around.

i hope im giving you guys a decent mental image, its hte best i can do.

i mean, look, im a pretty hard core PC gamer, so im VERY familiar with GFX and settings. i know what looks good and when something is wrong, and there is something going on here and i feel like if i just changed one weird setting somewhere, it all would be fixed.

anyways, thanks for helping, any ideas would be MUCH obliged!!!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (2,166 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

can you run your PC through it at different res?
At least that would give a clue as to if 2333 has given up on supporting higher res or not? Maybe... ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (2,156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

yeah i just messed around a bunch with my PCs resolutions, to no avail. i have both PS3 and PC hooked up at all times kinda the reason i bought the monitor so i could run them both in the same room.

i tried setting the PC to 1280X720 just to see how it would look and it was fine. in fact decently crisp for not running it in the monitors native res.

i even tried turning off 1080 wyhile running 720 games just in case the monitor was trying to upscale the 720 image while the PS3 was trying to keep it 720...

im actually pretty new to HDTVs thats why am asking so many questions, and many are probably pretty bad, lol. like i said, im familiar with monitors and PC GFX and can spot issues, just havent tooled around enough with hidef console gaming.

its been a pretty big headache with me since i boughrt a PS3. i didnt realize that when i had a 360 that it had a killer upscaler that made it look good even on a crappy 20" apex 480p TV. because when i run the PS3 on the same TV it wont even run 480p for some reason... i just assumed all hi def games would run in 1080 (or seemingly, even though it may not be native) because i only ever played console games on a 360.

kinda got spoiled on the 360 because i have been through 2-3 PC monitors trying to get the PS3 to look good and i even took back a new 32" samsung HDTV and it had 1080p /120hz...

see i thought the problem on PC was the 1st monitor i tried it on was a 16:10 aspect ratio, and i assumed the image was zooming in to adjust for the ratio, therefore the aliased image.

so i bought a new TV/monitor with the PS3 in mind and it has all the good hook ups and was advertised as a hi def TV as well. and mainly it has a 16:9 aspect ratio which i thought was the critical issue with the old monitor. well it turns out, it wasnt...

im just kinda going crazy now, and im stuck with this monitor cause we took our TV back. kinda bummed, should have stuck with the samsung we bought...

anways, thanks for your help, sorry for my hair pulling rant.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (2,154 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

no problem! :smileyhappy:

TBH, it should just work.

I run my PS3s on a Phillips 23" 1080p in my office, and LG 37" 1080p in the living room, and both look fabby (sorry!)

Running component should iron out any HDMI compatibility issues, and HDMI>DVI should work fine too.

Have you got ALL the resolutions ticked? (if not, do so, and the PS3 will pick the best one for whatever it is doing)
AND - does the main XMB (menu) look ok? Because that (unlike most games) can / does run at 1080p

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (2,147 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

yeah its funny that you should mention the XMB because when i first turned it on with this new TV, it looked wonderful and my heart skipped a beat, lol. yeah, i have all the res's checked and sometimes i turn off 1080i, but mostly theyre all on.

I heard someone say that, while im running a native 720p game i should try turning off the 1080p for the time being and see if that helps. i tried it on infamous and red dead redemption (both 720p games) and im not sure i notice a huge difference.

i have tried turning down the sharpness ALL the way, but the the picture is glossed over. so i basically tweak the TVs settings and the PS3's every time i play. i find that turning down the sharpness from 50% to 30% does help a little. and i have even heard other say they have the same monitor and turn of sharpness all together...

but again, i really appreciate your time, I feel kinda crazy right now trying to figure this thing out, lol. it does help to know that you have a 23" your playing on that looks good. that gives me hope that im overlooking something.

cheers- the man with a broken lung AND heart...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (2,141 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I challenge sony to help me figure this out!!!

i have had terrible luck with my PS3 after owning a 360 that gave me NO GFX ISSUES!!! im really annoyed.

i bought 3 different 16:9 PC monitors, a 32" samsung 1080p, 120hz HDTV and ended with a 23" samsung syncmaster PC monitor/HDTV and the PS3 looked crappy on all of them...

I used to play my 360 on a super beat up 20" apex 480 SDTV and it looked better than my PS3 on anything I have played it on???

I know what all of you will say, 'fanboy', or 'troll', and thats not the case... I bought the PS3 because I would not put up with MS business tactics anymore, AKA live gold accounts to DL demos and play MP.

I'm merely now asking sony to throw me a fricking bone, is there some setting combination that I should be setting in the menu to get the best out of this PS3 on this HDTV?

I was telling my friend about this new TV I grabbed over the phone and he thought I was over exaggerating because I'm very picky when it comes to visuals, well I showed him last night and he couldnt believe how bad it looked...

So, again, sony, I challenge to help me here, just throw me some ideas since im on the tech help site, I want to " love" my PS3, and you can help.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (2,096 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

also, something interesting i noticed while tweaking blu-ray during play last night, trying to figure this crap out...

my 720p image is horribly aliased, like it was a setting that was checked called "aliasing X2 > X4> X8" and i selected X8...

its a scaling issue. and its odd because when tweaking settings during blu-ray playback i fiddled with my remote till i got the movies image to scale down to half the size of the screen (to where it looked good) but of course it was a small image. so i hit the "P.size" button on my remote and my display went from 4:3 to "just scan" and then it displayed with the black bars. granted it wasnt "full screen" but it looked better.

i somehow think that the PS3 should be scaling a certain way and its not, so im srtuck with a horrid image...

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14 (2,093 Views)
0 Kudos