04 Mar 2009
Playstation Staff

Ps3 wireless controllers will not connect

18 Replies 28,789 Views Created 04-03-2009
hey, title says it all really, I can only use the controllers when i have them plugged in with the charger, any hints? And its not just a faulty one, my other 2 will not connect, and they are charged
Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19 (28,789 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Ps3 wireless controllers will not connect

I have the same kind of problems with my controllers. Tried restoring original settings, didn't work.

I can use one of the controllers without the charger but the other needs to be connected and when I disconnect the plug from the controller it just starts to flash all lights really fast and after awhile it shuts down. When I press the PS button it starts flashing the lights again but doesn't connect with Ps3. 

Very annoying problem, is there any hope fixing this without sending it to service?

I can change which controller to use without the charger by changing the controller number(?) from 1 to 2 or vice versa.

Reply would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19 (28,733 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Simple, mine does this all the time sometimes, switch of the ps3 from behind, wait a min, turn it back on the press the ps button on controller it will re-sync.

As soon as you press the ps button on the controller the ps3 will come on, with this latest firmware update it somehow looses connection with the controller. Everytime it looses connection do what i said before.

Tell us how you get on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19 (28,725 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

Is this a problem with newish ps3 ie under 6 months old cause never had a problem with my 60gb .
Photobucket
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19 (28,722 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Ive got a 60gb model and it happens to mines now and then, i just think a update could sort this out, no biggie ?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19 (28,720 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

I had the same problem with my original six-axis controller. It would connect fine then after a minute or so, it would disconnect. It took a while to figure out but there is a tiny reset button on the back of the controller. Pressing this fixed the issue and it's only disconnected once since. Give it a try :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19 (28,702 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies.

Turned off the console from behind for 5 min, switched back on and pressed PS button on the controller that was working yesterday, Ps3 started but the blinking just didn't stop until it turned off automatically after some time.

Shut down and do the backside powerbutton magic again,  same thing. Third time and the controller blinked for three seconds and turned off but didn't start the Ps3.

Fourth time powerbutton magic and switched the other controller which didn't reconnect yesterday. It started the console blinked for sometime and turned off, pressed PS button again and it reconnected. Now the controller that was working yesterday won't reconnect.

This is starting to be massive pain in the backsidearea.

Plus, when I try to connect the second controller the operating system freezes for the time when it's detecting the controller. (controller lights blinking)

I'm guessing it's time for a trip to the service and hope for new console.

Oh, and I have the 80 Gb version and the latest updates (2.60) installed, both controllers are dualshock 3:s.

I know, life sucks and then your Ps3 dies.

Message Edited by MossE_1 on 08-03-2009 10:01 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19 (28,701 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Good luck mate.

Hopefully it turns out to be something really obvious. Usually the way it is! :smileyvery-happy:
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19 (28,700 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

There actually is a little hole on the controller tried pushing it, didn't do anything but turn off the controller when it was blinking and problem is still there. Thanks anyway for that one , hadn't even noticed that button before.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19 (28,804 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I have a similar problem.

I will be playing a game then randomly the controller stops working, the light on the controller turns off and the game responds as if the controller is turned off (or the game carries on, note has NOT crashed) I press the PS button in the middle and the 4 lights flash for 30 seconds then turn off.  I have to turn it off at the back or hold down the power button for over 10 seconds to turn it off and on again.  once this is done the console restarts and the controller syncs as normal (I do not have to connect it using the USB cable for it to do this).

I have bought a new Dualshock controller to test if it is the controller and the same happens to that.  When the initial problem occurs both controllers are affected and neither will sync.

I have tried connecting the controller to the ps3 with the USB cable when the problem occurs and it still will not connect or give me any control (meanwhile the console still runs as normal).

I rang Sony and they have taken it away and returned it saying they could not find a hardware fault and that I should try a system format, which I have done.

...The problem still occurs.

It is not a huge problem and doesnt take too long to fix but when ur playing something like LBP and u forget to save a level u've been creating for half hour... u lose all ur progress after the last save.  plus it becomes irritating when ur in the middle of an online game and about to hit a highscore and the controller thinks "not this time buddy!".

I bought the PS3 in November 2008 and it is the 40/60GB model (whichever one it was that has only 2USB slots and no slots for ps2 controllers or memory cards).

One controller is a SIXAXIS and the other is a DUALSHOCK3.

The fault occurs at least twice a day randomly.

Is anyone else having the same problem or have any suggestions?  I will ring sony again but my PS3 is over its 1 year warrenty.

Dzsd
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19 (28,789 Views)
0 Kudos