19 May 2010
By: Prometheus581

3 Posts

Please Help!!! PS3 won't stay on longer than 3 seconds!!! I can't even get the disc out!!!

5 Replies 5,242 Views Created 19-05-2010

First dome System Specs: I bought a used/refurbished 60 Gb system from GameStop about a year ago.  I decided to with a used system so that I could get one that was back-compatible with my PS2 game collection.

I was playing Valkiria Chronicles (can't even get the disc out right now to check the spelling) a couple days ago when my system suddenly shut-off on me without warning. I wasn't touching anything other than my controller when this happened so the system did it on it's own.  I first thought that the system was restarting itself so I waited a few seconds as it rapidly became apparent that the system had turned itself off without my telling it to.  I proceeded cycle to power switch on the back of system and pressed the power button on the front, expecting it to boot right up like it normally does but ever since then whenever I press the front power button the light on the front goes from red to green then the system emits 3 short, rapid beeps before the light goes back to red.  The system barely stays on for 3 seconds or so, not even long enough to get the disc out.  I Don't think ventilation could be the issue since all the vents are unblocked with how I have it positioned right now

I need help or advice on how to get my system running again, preferably without losing thr data on hard-drive.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (5,242 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Re: Please Help!!! PS3 won't stay on longer than 3 seconds!!! I can't even get the disc out!!!

that does sound, unfortunately, like a possible YLOD failure - does the green light flash yellow for a split second?

Have a read of my YLOD thread - link is below in my sig :smileyhappy:

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (5,221 Views)
0 Kudos

Re: Please Help!!! PS3 won't stay on longer than 3 seconds!!! I can't even get the disc out!!!

I'm not sure if I'm getting a yellow light or not (since the whole cycle only last 2-3 seconds), but I think I might be. The light does momentarily changes color slightly before it goes back to red and the system powers down, maybe it's just my reluctance to accept that there's no quick fix to my problem. Where do I go from here and is there any way to salvage my saved games? I checked out you post and it sounds as if YLOD is similar to the infamous Red Light of Death Associated with Xbox360s, is this more or less a similarly pain in the a$$ Problem? Thanks
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (5,212 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Unfortunately yes.

Generically a PS3 YLOD and 360 RROD are basically the same sort of thing - bad news :smileysad:

The ONLY way to get your save games back are to bring your PS3 back to life somehow - your options for that are in the thread and there are various pros and cons associated to each method of doing that.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (5,204 Views)
0 Kudos

I can only assume that if this problem is common enough for you to ge to the trouble of of setting up a permenent post that you can refer people to then Sony must have some process set up to deal with what admittedly is their own fault.  Is there anyway for me to get this resolved without having to shell out more money on a system that is so obvoiusly fundementally falwed?  It seems like highway robbery to not cover a procuct for flaws that are the manufacture's fault and for the company to then turn around and demand more money out of the person they just ripped off!  Truthfully it was the horror stories I'd heard about RRoD on the XBox that lead me to go with a PS3 to begin with.

I noticed that you listed the price Sony charges for a repair in British Pounds.  At 120 pounds for the fix I could almost just buy a new system (thugh not with the back compatibility)  for that much.   Haven't checked on the exchange rate recently but it was around 1.6 USD to GBP(that was a couple years ago though) which would put that price close to $200 for me.

Can;t beelieve that Sony would take a "well, we've already got your money so go **** yourself" attitude with their custumers!  Is their any recourse I might have through Gamestopsince they sold me the refurbish system?

Christ I just finaly had gotten the thing hooked up after coming home from school.

THanks for the help though.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (5,198 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Is the problem common - yes, and no...

It does affect quite a lot of people, but than over 35million PS3s have been sold, so even a 1% failure rate would be about 350,000 dead PS3s.

In the UK there are ways you can attempt to get recourse against the shop, but they wouldn't apply to you I'm afraid, different laws :smileysad:
I think you have something similar (lemon laws or something?) but I don't know anything about them to know if you could use that or not.

The other thing (just for reference :smileyhappy:) is that the YLOD can cover loads of issues - it really is a "there is a generic hardware fault of some kind" message.
And Sony apparently don't make ANY profit on the refurb service (in the UK at least).

But I am shooting a bit in the dark here as far as the US is concerned.

I'd suggest doing a bit of research on your local sites regarding taking the PS3 back to the shop, and / or giving Sony US a ring to see what, if anything, they can do for you (and at what price) :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (5,191 Views)
0 Kudos