07 Jan 2011

Playstation Staff

No Sound on PS3

2 Replies 4,237 Views Created 07-01-2011

Need some help. Today for no apparent reason, the sound went out on my PS3. Movies, games, all of it. I restarted it several times with no luck. I went in to safe mode and went through each step in safe mode, including formatting the PS3 (my kids were not pleased as we lost all data on games) and still nothing.

I swapped HDMI cables with no luck and tried different HDMI ports on my TV with no luck. I googled this and found some users had simply entered PlayStation Home and then exited. I tried that with no luck. I've sent off an e-mail to Sony but the response will be 24-48 hours. Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can fix this please?

Thanks!

Opp

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3 (4,237 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: No Sound on PS3

Try hooking your PS3 up with both the standard cable that came with your PS3 (just the red/white plugs from PS3 to TV) and the HDMI cable at the same time.

Under sound settings select AV/Scart (or whatever its called) as your choice for sound output and in the top menu of the Sound section select dual output for your audio. I can't guarantee this will work but this is how I got sound via headphones on the PS3 while the video went through HDMI

This may tide you over as a workaround if it works until Sony can get back to you, but you've already tried the main culprits in my book which would be the HDMI cable itself and the HDMI ports. Mabye the HDMI on the PS3 itself is screwed? :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3 (4,207 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

Re: No Sound on PS3

Unfortunately ^ won't work, as your TV will be expecting the sound data via the HDMI, not via the red / white audio leads :smileysad:

what options have you currently got ticked in the audio settings bit of the PS3?

* YLOD? * *PSN Connection Problems?* *Blu Ray Problems

And we weren't even testing for that.. :Thumbs:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3 (4,174 Views)
0 Kudos