75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

52 Replies 711 Views Created 08-03-2012

Finished the game after getting way early on me 360 ignore the reviews its terrible. EA have killed the game massive plot holes which don't have any relevance to what happened in the previous two games. Awful storytelling entirely predictable, dumbed down everything and possibly the worst ending to a game ever. Plays more like Gears of War than Mass Effect. Mass effect 1 was awesome number 2 was still good but 3 is awful :(

0 Kudos
LABELS:
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

Oh ok, thanks. I won't buy it then... phew.

:smileyindifferent:

0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect 3 makes baby jesus cry.

/16

J-Matt-

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
J-Matt-
Accepted Solution

DUKE_FOOKEM wrote:

Finished the game after getting way early on me 360 ignore the reviews its terrible. EA have killed the game massive plot holes which don't have any relevance to what happened in the previous two games. Awful storytelling entirely predictable, dumbed down everything and possibly the worst ending to a game ever. Plays more like Gears of War than Mass Effect. Mass effect 1 was awesome number 2 was still good but 3 is awful :(

Yeah i thought that would happen since there creating another one but with one of sheperds crew memebers as the main character...... didnt buy ME3 was overhyped and thank god i didnt now lol 

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

J-Matt- wrote:

DUKE_FOOKEM wrote:

Yeah i thought that would happen since there creating another one but with one of sheperds crew memebers as the main character...... didnt buy ME3 was overhyped and thank god i didnt now lol 

So you haven't played it, but your making up your mind from this post? Your easily influenced.

0 Kudos

/16

shaolin87sniper

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shaolin87sniper
Accepted Solution

this post is lame

Beta Tester
/16

StuR328

• Beta Tester
98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
StuR328
Accepted Solution

shaolin87sniper wrote:

this post is lame

agreed.

so why did you post it? 

|¬_¬|™
/16

shaolin87sniper

94%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
shaolin87sniper
Accepted Solution

StuR328 wrote:

shaolin87sniper wrote:

this post is lame

agreed.

so why did you post it? 

Cuz i like lame posts (i have no idea lol)

0 Kudos

/16

OldMiley

92%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OldMiley
Accepted Solution
I am nine hours into it now and so far it is very good. There are some confusing elements to it, like not knowing where and objective is and no apparent way of finding out but I am thoroughly enjoying it.
0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution

OldMiley wrote:
I am nine hours into it now and so far it is very good. There are some confusing elements to it, like not knowing where and objective is and no apparent way of finding out but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Had this issue myself when exploring the citadel. Sometimes it wasn't clear at what I had to do or were I had to go.

Just like the previous game, I'm hooked, & can't put it down.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

monkelus

96%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
monkelus
Accepted Solution

I'm loving it, but man those characters don't half go on. I may have to replace the square button by the time I finish it.

BTW I spoken with Baby Jesus, and it wasn't Mass Effect 3 that made him cry, it was being born of a virgin; apparently the whole process was a bit more of a squeeze than he would have liked. Not to mention the whole dying for our sins malarkey, that made him proper grumpy.

Award Winner
/16

Kermit1970

• Award Winner
97%
15 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Kermit1970
Accepted Solution

shaolin87sniper wrote:

StuR328 wrote:

shaolin87sniper wrote:

this post is lame

agreed.

so why did you post it? 

Cuz i like lame posts (i have no idea lol)

Here's some crutches for your lame post

icon-on-crutches.jpg

0 Kudos

Beta Tester
/16

Cringles88

• Beta Tester
86%
09 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Cringles88
Accepted Solution
Spoiler
Just finished the mission with the rachni? not sure on the spelling. Can't seem to find Wrex on the Normandy.  In ME2 didn't it tell you which parts of the ship everyone was? It's a guessing game trying to find new recruits in ME3!
0 Kudos

Award Winner
/16

rancidpunk

• Award Winner
98%
13 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
rancidpunk
Accepted Solution

Cringles88 wrote:
Spoiler
Just finished the mission with the rachni? not sure on the spelling. Can't seem to find Wrex on the Normandy.  In ME2 didn't it tell you which parts of the ship everyone was? It's a guessing game trying to find new recruits in ME3!

Spoiler
He's in the War Room. If you click L3 or R3 it brings up a minimap with all your crew mates locations

0 Kudos

My flickr
Down with nested replies, bring back quoting
/16

OmegaPyrate

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

Each to their own, I guess.....  Not everyone likes COD, either.

Plot holes though/  Can I ask where?

0 Kudos

/16

DUKE_FOOKEM

75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DUKE_FOOKEM
Accepted Solution

Spoiler

Spoiler

*SPOILERS*

Why did my squadmates disappear when charging the beam only to magically teleport on the the Normandy?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Why in one of the final scenes was the Normandy escaping through the mass relay when it was supposed to be protecting the earth from the reapers?

When the normandy does emerge it manages to crash land on a habitable planet the chances of this are ridiculous.

In the event that you save Sheppard and he awakes in rubble at the end of the game, how could he of got from the citadel to earth alive?

The illusive man on the citadel how did he get there? Must of being those wizards again.

Why when going through the beam does your gun have an unlimited clip? What happened to guns needing thermal clips not to overheat.

Why does Sheppard just give up and accept the leader of the reapers options?

Spoiler

0 Kudos

/16

DUKE_FOOKEM

75%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
DUKE_FOOKEM
Accepted Solution

What happened to my post!

Beta Tester
/16

InfiniteStates

• Beta Tester
94%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
InfiniteStates
Accepted Solution

LOL it got eaten by hungry spoiler tags.

0 Kudos

/16

OmegaPyrate

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
OmegaPyrate
Accepted Solution

You caused a spatial distortion with spoiler tags by not liking ME3!  SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!?  :D

Seriously though.  Most of what you're pointing out their is basically the (admittedly ludicrous) ending.  And in that, I agree with you somewhat- I don't hate it or anything, but it was nothing like I was hopiing or expecting for......  There's actually a petition on the go to get it changed, believe it or not.  :D

0 Kudos

/16

metallicorphan

96%
03 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
metallicorphan
Accepted Solution

The game was fantastic....until those last 5 or so minutes

They should of ended the game...

Spoiler
with Sheperd and Anderson sat down looking on after activating the crucible

Everything after that was damn terrible

0 Kudos

FF14:ARR-Mancunian Metal

/16
99%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Solid_Snake12345
Accepted Solution

Ending spoilers (kind of, it's what I envisaged the ending as before the script was released):

Spoiler

Spoiler
I've tried to avoid any specifics because I don't particularly care what it is exactly. I just don't want it to be an abrupt ending that is illogical, clashes with the entire series up to that point, is a deus ex machina, is unvaried, makes your choices irrelevant and has no variety (and dooms the galaxy transport wise for millenia at the least). Perhaps something like this would be acceptable and is what I imagined before it was released:

1) Battle of Earth Begins. Choice:

Choose what each species will focus on - Space Combat, Inflitration, Crowd Control or Ground Combat. Space Combat allies will focus more on destroying enemies from or in space. Infiltration is designed to sabotage Reaper troops, sneak past the enemmies or launching cyber attacks. Crowd Control is to create choke points and and subdue large amounts of enemies. Ground Combat is simply normal combat on the front lines. The Alliance number is automatically halved as 50% are forced to fight on the ground. due to it being Earth (no other species can split thier focus).

umerous side missions influence this in addition to the alliances. Things such as having Helena Blake operating a crime syndicate are beneficial as they pour money into the war effort or what you did with Feros and Noveria. This is merely an example.

Each allied army has different strengths depending on the species those being: space combat, ground combat, resistance to indoctrination, recklessness (this is a negative obviously), strategic combat and evasiveness. The leader of the army or any significant characters also has an effect as does the strength of the army. These influence every cutscene battle's outcome depending on what the values are for each ally species, increasing or decreasing the chance of the species survival.

2) Fight on Earth for a lengthy mission.

3) Destroy multiple Reapers from on ground (doesn't matter how as long as it makes sense). At this point a large amount of Reapers begin to abandon Earth and head towards the relay to go to the Citadel (which hasn't been captured off screen...). At this point a choice occurs:

(RENEGADE) Order most ships to retreat and a few dreadnaughts remain in the Sol system, focusing all fire on the Relay to try and destroy it before the majority of the Reapers escape in an attempt to destroy and prevent as many as possible from reaching the Citadel. The cost of sacrificing dreadnaughts and, most importantly, Earth. The positive however is destroying a large amount of Reapers, severely weakening their forces.
(NEUTRAL) Order the majority of ships to return to the relays and go to the Citadel. A few ships remain to try and continue destroying any remaining Reapers on Earth. The negative to this is losing ships (due to being obliteration) and having a weakened defense but the positive is a chance of earth. A significantly high number of EMS is needed and the Council must be saved in Mass Effect 1 in order to convince the other races to stay to defend Earth when the entire galaxy is under threat. If these are not fulfilled Earth will be destroyed as will almost all ships.
(PARAGON) Order the majority of the ships to stay defending Earth and the rest go to defend the Citadel. The advantage is Earth is almost guaranteed to survive. The disadvantages are a severely weakened defense at the Citadel. Due to the large amount of ships there will be fewer casualties as the Reapers will be much more overwhelmed and destroyed quicker (so reinforcements will reach the Citadel soon). Earth is guaranteed to survive, not completely razed and with a decent amount of surviving troops and civillians.

4) Battle for the Citadel begins as the Reapers plan on seizing the Citadel and activating the Conduit (if you wish to keep that in) or to turn off the Relay Network. final mission.

5) Cutscene begins. The amount of allied ships present and the amount of Reapers depends on your previous choices. In addition to this it depends on your EMS and the races you have recruited. It also is impacted by whether or not the Destiny Ascension survived Mass Effect.

6) Choice if you chose (PARAGON) or (NEUTRAL) in previous choice:
Order the ships in Sol to abandon Earth and reinforce the Citadel. This happens automatically depending on whether you picked Paragon or Neutral. If you picked Paragon, the cutscene will most likely end with a complete obliteration of the ships protecting the Citadel if you don't order the reinforcements before Earth is saved and the Reapers will begin taking over the Citadel. A forty minute time limit will also be present once you arrive on the Citadel, highlighting that the Reapers have now over-run it and are close to taking it over completely. You receive few reinforcements.

If you chose Neutral than a time limit of two hours will be present, highlighting how you have significantly delayed the Reapers' capture of the Citadel. If you call in reinforcements before Earth is saved than the time limit is completely removed and you'll receive a decent amount of reinforcements

If you chose renegade the option is not present. Instead you get no time limit, your army has a significantly higher chance of suffering minimal casualties, few Reapers will reach the Citadel's surface and much more reinforcements will arrive to assist you in the battle.

7) Normandy reaches surface of the Citadel. Commander Shepard dropped off with entire crew. Every squad member is present and available to use and life of all members is doubled. If they die in combat however, they die. As in, permenantly. Liara's plot shielding is completely broken.

If you chose Renagade at Sol, every area of the Citadel from previous games is open as well as new areas to connect each area.
If you chose Paragon a significant amount of routes are cut off, the number of allies is reduced and Reaper presence is vastly increased.
If you chose Neutral the amount of Reapers is less than Paragon but not as few as Renagade. Less routes are cut off and some allies are present.

8) Sidequests are present that range from saving any surviving civillians, clear landing zones for reinforcements, destroy Reapers in an Area (attacking the Wards, razing the Presidium etc.) and more. Surviving squad mates from previous games are present, both as recruitable allies, as Cerberus squad members (enemies) or as indoctrinated enemies. Keepers (if that's not too stupid), husks of civillians on the Citadel, Cerberus soldiers and a Reaper (or multiple Reapers in an area if you suffered major casualties in the space battles. These destroy entrances to other areas, kill allies and Cerberus troops, remove sidequests by killing the giver and occasionally shoot at you) are all enemies you fight as you advance towards the Citadel tower.

9) You reach the Citadel tower after the very extensive Citadel mission.

10) Unsure on the fight within the Citadel. Choice:
After final fight you can order the Normandy to pick up any squad members.

11) Unsure on how to finally destroy the Reapers. I was considering using the Citadel to control the Mass Effect relays and turn them into giant cannons by firing allied ships into the Reapers and if the Dark Energy plot had been furthered and made more significant I'd had suggested that the Citadel can be used as a weapon that is powered through Dark Energy (I picture the arms folding backwards with the tower in the middle being where the massive Dark Energy beam is released, similarly to how a magnifying glass focuses the sun's rays to burn an ant for example only in this case it's for Dark Energy). Both of these would need to be somehow suggested throughout the game with the Dark Energy one being best due to it also being hinted (or atleast the importance of Dark Energy) in the second game.

12) If the survival depends on your past choices and not a deus ex machina:
12a) Cutscene commences showing destruction of Reapers, Citadel, any allies, squadmates and Shepard etc depending on a multitude of factors.

12b) If the Citadel is some form of weapon: (Interrupt choice wheel) Destroy other races' home planets of your choosing. Choice

(RENEGADE RIGHT) Seize control of the Citadel for Shepard. Kill all unloyal squadmates and destroy all surviving allied ships once they've destroyed any remaining Reapers.
(RENEGADE LEFT) Submit ultimatum: Choice: (RENEGADE) Alliance controlled Galaxy. (NEUTRAL) Demand peaceful resolution to any conflicts and for them to be allies or the species will be obliterated [whether or not this works depends on how you resolved side quests involving the species. If it doesn't the relays are shut down to their system and all communication ceased] )
(NEUTRAL RIGHT) Don't interfere with the galaxy. Destroy the Citadel Central Hub to prevent the Reapers from quickly taking control of it through an indoctrinated servant. Call the Normandy to pick up you and any allies. Hope that your army is strong enough to defeat the remaining Reapers.
(NEUTRAL LEFT) Contact only allies to flee the System.
(PARAGON RIGHT) Transfer all data from the Citadel (accessible via the central hub) to every homeworld that has survived. Transfer control of the Mass Relays to each species' homeworld that has survived if possible. Close Citadel arms and ram the Mass Effect Relay, destroying any allies or Reapers in the system, destroying the Citadel permenantly (preventing any future assaults on it), spreading all knowledge regarding it to each race and hopefully preserving the use of the Mass Effect relays and, if it ends them than atleast each race has an endless supply of information regarding them [I only say ram the relay since according to Mass Effect 3 it can move some how].
(PARAGON LEFT) Warn all species to flee the system immediately and allow the remaining Reapers to enter the Citadel.

Two choices can be chosen, one from the left, one from the right or simply one.

13) The faith of the Galaxy is shown and the impact of your choices in the trilogy is made apparent. Perhaps in a five minute cutscene but the idea is that as much of the choices as possible would be shown before or during the Citadel.

It may be better to simply let it reflect your choices throughout the trilogy and work on other factors instead. Something like the above is what I presumed would happen in the full game before the scripts were released. Also, I've purposely left some things out like T.I.M. under the assumption that they'd be handled earlier in the game. I've also tried to make the final choices work whether or not The Citadel is a weapon or not so it could be altered easily.

I've copy and pasted this from a post I made on another forum about what people envisaged the ending as so I apologise if the formatting is wrong.

As far as I'm concerned though, the ending we got was disastrous, the worst game ending I can remember, rivalling Metal Gear Solid 4, no easy feat. Ending spoilers:

Spoiler
Deus Ex Machina
Vent Child as Crucible...WHY!? And that's ignoring how stupid it was for Shepard, a soldier that's witnessed multiple deaths throughout the series suddenly is more affected by the death of a single child than all of the turmoil he's experience before then.

Space Magic (Green can turn everybody into roborganics because it's green)
It thematically clashes with everything in the series (oh, yay, I've just solved the Geth and Quarian civil war moments ago but, what's this? AI and Organics can't co-operate even though there's no outright hostile AI in the series)

Reapers motivation beyond stupid. They should have left it at Mass Effect's explanation.

All the endings are the same with minor insignificant changes.

The choices you've made are ultimately pointless.

Complete laziness in game development with copied endings and stock images instead of original concepts.

Day one DLC for an important character that is on the disk.

The ending makes no sense (Joker fleeing Sol, crewmates teleport, Shepard on Earth if you choose destroy with enough EMS, the Earth's gravitation field will pull the destroyed Citadel towards the Earth which would end up destroying Earth anyway, Normandy on a habitable planet)

Abrupt (The Citadel appears out of nowhere with no indication it could move before and the choice makes little sense).

You've ruined the galaxy. You've destroyed the Mass Relays. You've set the galaxy back potentially hundreds of thousands of years. the Protheans, a much more advanced race, only came close to replicating a Relay and hadn't suceeded to any major extent. And they could reverse engineer them, the Citadel species' can't.

Every species you brought to Sol is trapped. There is not enough food to sustain them.

The Relays according to Arrival should wipe out the system when they explode but I'm willing to ignore this.

The Citadel should have been the main Reaper target in the game, not Earth.

And there's more but I've typed enough.

/16

steveeire

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steveeire
Accepted Solution

OmegaPyrate wrote:

You caused a spatial distortion with spoiler tags by not liking ME3!  SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE!?  :D

Seriously though.  Most of what you're pointing out their is basically the (admittedly ludicrous) ending.  And in that, I agree with you somewhat- I don't hate it or anything, but it was nothing like I was hopiing or expecting for......  There's actually a petition on the go to get it changed, believe it or not.  :D

My problem with it is that, its full of plot holes

Spoiler

1. When you destroy a Mass relay, it destroys the solar system its in, as seen in Arrival dlc, if you destroy them all you effectively wipe out all life in the galaxy, no matter what end you choose this happens.

2. How did your team mates get back on the Normandy?

3. Why was joker flying away from the battle?

4. None of the questions I had about the reapers were answered.

5. and finally in a game that advertises that, your choices has consequences you never find out what happens after you choose your ending, you just get some coffin dodger telling you a story.

0 Kudos

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG BLEARYSTEVEEIRE

STEAM ID: BLEARYSTEVE
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel