Games: Role-Playing Games

Role-Playing Games: General

Role-Playing Games: General

Level 10

Re: Kingdoms of amalur:Reckoning Impressions

Mikal_Drey wrote:

@ infinitestates... I wasnt sure by your post which game you were referring to with the combat comment

Nice summary... It eloquently summed up my nebulous negative feelings towards the game :smileyhappy:

My combat comment was probably directed at Oblivion/Skyrim if it was negative. Combat is a core mechanic of a melee based RPG, and it is horrible in Oblivion/Skyrim which puts me off them. But everything else is done well. It seems completely inverted in Amalur, where combat is done well and everything else is...not horrible...but just functional.

Which is a shame because I was hoping Amalur would fill the void left by Skyrim. But in the end, I'm glad I don't want it as next month is crazy: Mass Effect 3, Syndicate and Birds Of Steel (maybe). If I were religous, I'd be praying for more hours in the day...!

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 59 (307 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

The game is huge! Someone's played it 80 hours + and not moved the main story on more than two steps... :smileysurprised:

Who can play a game for 80 hours plus since Friday? Don't they sleep?

SoDomi non sapiens Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 59 (297 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

I have been playing this games for a while now, yes it is a copy of lots of other games and for the 1st 9 hours I thought it boring with nothing special to draw me in.

Now everthing is starting to fit into place the combat is superb as you unlock skills a bit later on.

It's starting to feel like like an open world God Of War or something, it feels like an action RPG. The unlocked battle skills look better than almost any other game I have played.

the score has jumped from an intial 6/10 to a 8/10 from me, but could go up or down again. If this had 2 - 4 player co-op it would have been incredible.

It also runs incredibly well, a few pops ins and draw distance is not always great, the camera feels too close, but seen no real bugs.

It will be great to see where this franchise goes, so I will stick with it for a while.

deadleaves
60gb
Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 59 (393 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Hi Stu

The only niggle I've had is the camera angle when talking to people - sometimes it's blocked or at odd angles so you don't see much. Apparently the demo was as buggy as hell which does appear to be fixed. It does have a long warm up period as others have stated here (following the faction stories gets you into it alot quicker though).

Have to say it's nice to play a massive rpg that actually works and it is massive! No freezing, lag or bugged quests for me though I have learned from mistakes in the past with RPGs and don't go charging about poking into places willy nilly so I only go where I'm sent. No reported probs with the autosave either that I've seen.

PC version seems to have the most problems with main story being broken for some (though it appears that they've gone to areas that moves the story on without completing a story-thread beforehand (or missing a step in the story in simpler terms lol)...

most places have blocks so you can't go into story-line areas without certain items/people though some traps/barriers get triggered if you enter a place once, then when you re-enter the traps/barriers are unset and retrigger and trap you so save often! :smileyvery-happy:

As we've seen on these boards, when a game is released as buggy as hell, the threads come thick and fast, there aren't any such threads (so far) and the game is a chart-topper I'm certain there would have been.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 59 (254 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

did enjoy the demo in the end despite a few graphic glitches, but I've survived worse on release versions of other games :smileyvery-happy:

Think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good price drop next month for it

|¬_¬|™
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 59 (251 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Only had a couple of blips with the camera- nothing that didn't correct itself- and thankfully, no broken quest lines.... although there was one strange moment the other night when I was rooted to the spot waiting for someone to talk to me... who just walked in the other direction.  :/  Meh, it's all good.

Tnight.... Gadflow shall be perforated tonight!

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 59 (225 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

OmegaPyrate wrote:Tnight.... Gadflow shall be perforated tonight!

Like a Tetley's teabag...or a footballers one-night stand? :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 59 (210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Domiiinatrix wrote:

OmegaPyrate wrote:Tnight.... Gadflow shall be perforated tonight!

Like a Tetley's teabag...or a footballers one-night stand? :smileyvery-happy:

Yeah,,,,, geez, I hate when that happens, you know?  (The teabag thing.... The TETLEY'S teabag, I mean!) 

Anyhoo... finally finished the main quest.  Lame ending.  :smileysad:  Last boss was.... big, though.

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 59 (202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

I'm just about to move over to the other side of the map.

And if you're gonna have one, make it a big one :smileywink: Bosses I mean :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 59 (216 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

*vasts revive on thread*

Well, this is a bummer (wait's for Domii's oblgatory innuendo) - the company's getting closed down.

That well and truly sucks dragon c**k.  No sequel, and that MMO they were making is probably stuffed as well.  :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 59 (93 Views)
0 Kudos