14 Sep 2009
Playstation Staff

Will the PSP ever support WPA2?

8 Replies 15,045 Views Created 14-09-2009

My internet at home has WPA2 security, for a few reasons I can't change it to WPA. Will the PSP ever support WPA2? I don't know much about the whole thing but I can't see why they can't include it to the supported security. I want to use my PSP online!!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (15,045 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Will the PSP ever support WPA2?

[ Edited ]
Buy another cheap Wi Fi router set it for your psp then connect it into the first router. I have 2 routers set up myself 1 for PS3 (main) and another one for all the PCs.
Message Edited by Killzone_Kid on 14-09-2009 10:21 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (15,027 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Killzone_Kid wrote:
Buy another cheap Wi Fi router set it for your psp then connect it into the first router. I have 2 routers set up myself 1 for PS3 (main) and another one for all the PCs.

But then that's still lowering the security.

Even more so would be to drop it to WPA in the first place.

My way around this though is temporarily changing to WPA+WPA2 for about 10 minutes or so to download an update or something, and then switch it straight back after I've finished using it :-)

Will it ever support full WPA2? I don't know.

Would be nice though if PSP could connect to adhoc networks (Not the PSP to PSP ones, I mean ones for networking) it would be a nice and simple way to get around this then (Well in my case as my desktop has built in wi-fi which I never use xD)
Message Edited by Biker_J on 15-09-2009 05:32 AM

Registered Linux User #456478
My Games (Only got a couple)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (15,011 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I want the same thing aswel funny that i just made a popst then seen this I need it to work with WPA2-Enterprise getting another router is not possible.

If we get this I will buy  a PSP go currently dont own a psp but have borrowed one to see if the play tv function works where I always have free time but the wifi there is WPA2-Enterprise

Message Edited by opl1990 on 15-09-2009 02:16 PM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (14,986 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Biker_J wrote:

Killzone_Kid wrote:

My way around this though is temporarily changing to WPA+WPA2 for about 10 minutes or so to download an update or something, and then switch it straight back after I've finished using it :-)

Would be nice though if PSP could connect to adhoc networks (Not the PSP to PSP ones, I mean ones for networking) it would be a nice and simple way to get around this then (Well in my case as my desktop has built in wi-fi which I never use xD)

How is that lowering security? You can set dedicated router to connect to your psp only. Set WPA security, switch MAC address filtering, switch off SSID broadcast. I want to see someone trying to bypass that.

Or if you so so so paranoid, you can switch the PSP router only when you need it thus increasing security even more.
Message Edited by Killzone_Kid on 15-09-2009 04:32 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (14,968 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Killzone_Kid wrote:

Biker_J wrote:

Killzone_Kid wrote:

How is that lowering security? You can set dedicated router to connect to your psp only. Set WPA security, switch MAC address filtering, switch off SSID broadcast. I want to see someone trying to bypass that.

Or if you so so so paranoid, you can switch the PSP router only when you need it thus increasing security even more.
Message Edited by Killzone_Kid on 15-09-2009 04:32 PM

Believe it or not, it's easy to cloke mac addresses and crack WAP. As for seeing hidden SSID, that's even easier.

basically the psp router only switched on when needed is like what I said above.

It's not paranoia, it's keeping security high, and in some cases that is needed.

Registered Linux User #456478
My Games (Only got a couple)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (14,954 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

What good does clocking do?

1. You have to know the MAC address because you set the router to only let this address through. If you don't know it clocking yours won't help.
2. You have to know the name of SSID. If it is not broadcasted how are you going to know what name is it?
3. You have to hack WPA which is not unhackable but still will require some effort.

No one would go through all this trouble hacking your security just to use your Internet. If you think someone would, then the paranoia IS the word.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (14,938 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Well what if you cant have 2 routers and its a network which operates WPA2 enterprise?

A network I dont own but have acess to

Message Edited by opl1990 on 16-09-2009 12:14 PM

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (14,914 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Depends on the processing power needed for WPA2 over WPA1.

I have Linksys kit running DD-WRT custom firmware, which allows "WPA2 Mixed mode", providing WPA2 for clients which support it, and WPA fallback, for those that don't, like the PSP.

Hide your SSID (yes I know this is mostly ineffectual), enable MAC address locking (again, these can be scanned - airsnort/kismet are both good and bad...) and use a decent/long WPA AES key (NOT TKIP, it's been broken) - that's about as secure as you can make it.

I put this (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Sony_PSP_and_Remote_Play) togther to help DD-WRT & PSP users get Remote Play working over split/WDS meshed networks.  

If you're REALLY worried, get some router monitoring software and check for odd connections :smileyhappy: 

Message Edited by g0tht3ch on 16-09-2009 02:26 PM
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (14,903 Views)
0 Kudos