06 Aug 2008
By matty_

Playstation Staff

Media Server Error: A Network error has occurred. ( 80710028 ) Can any help please?

8 Replies 34,960 Views Created 06-08-2008

Hey All,

Ive had this message come on my ps3, while i was trying to listen to music from my laptop "Media Server Error: A Network error has occurred. ( 80710028 ) " . Does anyone have any ideas what i have got to do? Please reply.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9 (34,960 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Media Server Error: A Network error has occurred. ( 80710028 ) Can any help please?

Can you give a little more detail like OS, what Media Server etc.?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9 (34,948 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Re: Media Server Error: A Network error has occurred. ( 80710028 ) Can any help please?

Hi,

Thanks for reply, currently using windows vista and im using a wireless connection over to my ps3, ive been able to play music and videos from my laptop to my ps3 before but suddenly today i havent been able to, can you help?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9 (34,934 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

I've heard that error relates to a dodgy shared folder for WMP11.

Try using TVersity (give it a google) instead - its a free program.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9 (34,919 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

MATTY,

Its an intermitent problem that I get myself, its full error mssg is: Media Server Error: A Network error has occurred.This is a DNS problem ( 80710028 ). I Think that its simply down to connection lag between your PS3 and your media server - in your case and mine your Vista equipped laptop which acts as a media server. A few ways to bridge this is as follows.......

.... Instead of streaming the data copy it instead. The data stream doesnt have to work as much or for as long and you can just delete it afterwards.

Check whatelse is using your connection @ the sametime, it may just be down to the fact that your bandwidth is being used fully and your PS3 and laptop just cant keep the connection between each other stable enough - obviuosly close some other programs down/ turn off any devices that dont need to be on.

As somebodyelse said, use a different programme instead of WMP, personally I use RealPlayer 11, it seems to communicate alot easier with the PS3 in my experience and its not so tight on DRM which is handy - you can get RP free off the net, I always use CNet cos they test and garuntee everything bug free/ virus/ spy and malware free. just goto cnet.com but do be careful - ALOT OF FAKES EXIST COS ITS SUCH A TRUSTED SOURCE - Always look for thier logo red circle with c.net written in it. The fake sites always look dodgy so you'll know when you have the right one.

Just leave it abit. Ive maybe had this problem 3-4 times in 2yrs and time will always clear an intermitent problem.

Cruton

Victory & Honour Before Self. If I need to lay down my life for my comrades then so be it
Gen. Gree-CC1004
Grand Army of the Republic( GAR)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9 (34,908 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Can I ask why the hell all these PS3 problems are posted in the FORUM Tech support?

Anyway. Try making sure WMP is set up properly, if thats what your using to stream. And that your network allows media sharing.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9 (34,899 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Acid is kinda right - these types of questions shld be in the TECH Section, but if ppl dont realise/cant find etc and post here I lke2 answer cos it norm means they r fairly new2 the forum n unsure of stuff

Just thought aswell MATTY - you have checked that media severs are accepted havent u??? u might have changed it by accident @ sum point - ive done it while drunk @ the w/end then ripped my hair out cos i cldnt get it2 work lol

Cruton

Victory & Honour Before Self. If I need to lay down my life for my comrades then so be it
Gen. Gree-CC1004
Grand Army of the Republic( GAR)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9 (34,894 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Check in your options on WMP 11 under library tab, then more options, then go to library on the left side of the tabs of the dialogue box.  click the configure sharing button and check to see that sharing is allowed..if it is not, turn it on.  Thats a pretty poor explanation, but you might be able to get it from here if you have set it up before..you can also check your network and sharing center in your control panel to see that media sharing is setup..if you have changed or added a user account, modified network settings, installed new antivirus, this can get mucked up.

Best luck, let me know if this works for you, it did for me. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9 (32,086 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Yes!!! The problem lies in Media Player.  If you drag and drop files into your library they will show up on your ps3 but wont play.

The only way is to right click (videos) in media player then manage libraries and add the folder the files are in.

This is stupid as we all find the drag and drop easy.  I had the problem with my T-Box as well thought it was format issues. P.S. check your streaming option too

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9 (10,978 Views)
0 Kudos