28 Dec 2010
By Rycooma

Playstation Staff

PSN sub accounts online

12 Replies 1,110 Views Created 28-12-2009

Hello All

New Playstation 3 owner here so be gentle.

I have been reading various posts about setting parental controls for my son's (8yo) sub-account. The problem is that he cannot play Motorstorm 2 online. The folling message is shown when he tries.

"Parental controls have been enforced and your account is not eligible to play Motorstorm: Pacific Rift online.

I have tried changing any settings I can find which include

From the XMB under Security Settings, set Parental Control to Off.

Also under the Sub-account controls settings voice chat to on.

What I think is stopping him is the first setting from here which says

As a master account holder, you can restrict your sub account's participation in PLAYSTATION Network as follows.  Please note that this feature can control all sub accounts including adult sub accounts.  The following three controls can be changed at any time by the master account.

• Restrict Content Based on User Age: This means that you can prevent your sub account from buying game content through the PLAYSTATION Network that is rated higher than the users age; and prevent your child from playing PLAYSTATION 3 content on the PLAYSTATION Network that is rated higher than his age according to the ESRB rating system.  If you remove this restriction, then your child will be able to buy and play any content, including content that is rated higher than the users age.  
  • Restrict chat with PLAYSTATION Network users on PLAYSTATION Network:  This means that the sub account will not be able to communicate with other users on PLAYSTATION Network using audio and video capabilities.  However, sub accounts may send and receive text messages from other PLAYSTATION Network users.
  • Set monthly limit on the sub account: Your sub account may spend up to this amount every month if your wallet has sufficient funds.

I cannot find where I can change the first setting.

Anyone got any ideas

Regards

Peter

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13 (1,110 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: PSN sub accounts online

I have an answer.
You said that your son is 8 years old and you can't change the age option on the sub-account.
Sorry for that but first the MotorStorm 2 can be played on accounts that are "older" than 16 years old.
If you check on the front it says "+16".
So... you can't do nothing right now until your child be 16 years old. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13 (1,104 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

wow. 16 seems extremely old for this game, given what 16 year olds can watch at the movies these days..

better wait for modnation racers ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13 (1,100 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

you could create another sub-account for your son, putting his age at over 18. however, though it might seem a bit extreme not letting young ones playing online games that are not bloody shooters, there are (sadly) a few idiots out there with mics. it's only happened a coulpe of times for me on motorstorm (it's very rare) but what some people say is totally disgusting and worthy of reporting after muting them. i guess sony and games developers are not wanting to get into trouble from parents who get offened when their little jonny hears stuff on games that they shouldn't be playing in first place.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13 (1,105 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I got a very similar problem with Ghostbusters...

My son is 8, Ghostbusters a PG... Registered a sub account for him & am happy for him to be able to play online multiplayer. The game will not grant him access 'due to parental restrictions' on chat settings. I have triple made sure that all options are set to allow it, BUT STILL NOTHING....

I am so frustrated! Have read so much on these forums about all sorts of problems with sub account holders etc. Pretty poor... All I want is my kid to be able to use his own ident whilst online gaming.

Can't seem to find a 'real' solution here... Anyone have any joy?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13 (1,073 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks to those that replied. I guess the only answer at this stage to create another sub account and lie about his age. I actually have this problem 3 times over (3 sons). These settings really should be user selectable. Its ok for the default settings to block online play but shouldn't it be my decision as a parent as to what my children play. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13 (1,056 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am having the same problem. PSN wont let my son(9) play UFC online. It should be up to us, as parents, to choose what our kids play and how they do so. The age ratings are, after all, only guidelines.

I guess I will have to create a new account for him. PSN really should look at this.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13 (1,050 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

create regular accounts for ur kids. if they are the age they say they are, then you simply do not buy them games that are not in their age bracket, theres plenty of good games out their for their age...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13 (1,040 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

and to block online play, just unplug/turn off your router, problem solved. even better, take away the plug adapter when you dont want them playing online, and hide it somewhere...
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13 (1,039 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I had similar issues and found that I can turn them on/off under parental controls from the account management screen. 

I logged into PSN on the computer and then chose "My Account".  This went to the my account page where I chose "manage account".  From that page you can pick "Edit Parental Control Settings".

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13 (1,016 Views)
0 Kudos