17 Sep 2013
By Corvus9
Playstation Staff

Crashing and freezing and stuck at loading screen.

36 Replies 19,183 Views Created 17-09-2013

My version of GTA 5  is unplayable, it constantly keeps freezing or crashing or getting stuck at a loading screen during the opening tutorial. Plenty of people have this issue (Google search) I hope there's a patch pretty soon. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37 (19,183 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Crashing and freezing and stuck at loading screen.

Disk or PSN version my disk versions running fine maybe a PS3 system spring clean in safe mode will help?  Try both options 3 restore file system and repeat then again option 4 rebuild the database and probably a fresh instalation of game data. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 37 (19,042 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the advice, I'm using the disc version, and after 2 hours of replaying the tutorial, uninstalling and installing twice I finally made it to the first save point. I'm sure that won't be the end of the problems but it's a start. I will probably follow your advice and do the 'spring clean' anyway. Thanks for the help. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37 (19,000 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

I am having the same problem, at first the game worked fine for a few hours then just got stuck at the loading screen, now however when I play the game i'm just stuck with a black screen and no visuals at all. I have tried EVERYTHING to try and resolve this and nothing has worked. How long are we stuck without game play for? This is beyond a joke especially from the world leading game creators!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37 (18,965 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Same here. I'm about 3 hours in and all of a sudden it starts crashing. It's crashed twice on the loading screen when you start the game and pretty much every time I try to buy some clothes. I'll be scrolling through the clothes, then it'll lock on an item. I can still scroll through the clothes, but they won't change on my character. After I leave the store everything is really laggy. I'll press triangle to enter my car and he'll just stand there. Also, running and jumping doesn't seem to work (the map also won't load when I hit pause). About 5 seconds later he'll teleport into the car. After driving a couple hundred meters everything will freeze, and I have to hard reset.

So far it's only happened with Franklin as I haven't been Michael after this started happening.

Seems to be happening to a lot of people from what I've googled.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37 (18,956 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

My game was unplayable, so I followed Mont348's advice (posted above) and did the 'spring clean' on my PS3 and now the game hasn't crashed once in 4 hours of playing. Yes it could be an unlikely coincidence but perhaps my HDD was corrupted without causing problems on any other games other than GTA5. All I know is since the repair the game is working fine for me (at the moment). If anyone else is having similar game breaking problems as I was, maybe give it a go. 

Cheers Mont348.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37 (18,810 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Corvus9 wrote:

My game was unplayable, so I followed Mont348's advice (posted above) and did the 'spring clean' on my PS3 and now the game hasn't crashed once in 4 hours of playing. Yes it could be an unlikely coincidence but perhaps my HDD was corrupted without causing problems on any other games other than GTA5. All I know is since the repair the game is working fine for me (at the moment). If anyone else is having similar game breaking problems as I was, maybe give it a go. 

Cheers Mont348.

I use Play TV on my PS3, and it really helps to do the 'restore file system' thing for me. I do it before I install any new game now.

If anyone reads this and thinks 'wot, how do I do that?'  Just search youtube for 'ps3 restore file system' to find out.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 37 (18,800 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

No need to search, just watch the YouTube video that mont348 has very helpfully posted above in the second post.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 37 (18,790 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Corvus9 wrote:

Cheers Mont348.

No problems glad it's worked, I do actually run the safe mode operation maybe at least once a month, it's just like defragging a PC basically it keeps everything running smooth. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 37 (18,757 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I tried it and played a mission it keeps freezing on. I had high hopes cause it said it found corrupt files. It froze again. Crushed. . . I'm sitting here with what has been the best game I've ever played and it keeps freezing. I'm going to try uninstalling the saved data then restoring corrupt data and try it again. For me its very easy to test, I know right where it freezes. At first it was a different mission and when I reinstalled the saved data, I was able to play the mission and completed it. I thought it was fixed. . . Then the next mission froze. That's where I'm at now. So even if it seems like its working, it may crash again later. I really wish we had a resolution. 😞
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 37 (18,466 Views)
0 Kudos