PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

20 Sep 2009
By: tomtomrowson

2 Posts

my ps3 60gb old one wont play ps3 games but will ps2 games

10 Replies 6442 Views Created 20-09-2009

can someone Arrr, please Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty! explain to me how i can fix this? 

my ps3 will play ps2 games but it will not play ps3 games. the icon to play it just doesnt appear in the 'game' menu.

any ideas anyoneeee? 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (6,442 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: my ps3 60gb old one wont play ps3 games but will ps2 games

sounds like your blu ray drive has gone wrong to me m8
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (6,455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

[ Edited ]

You will find that the blue ray lens get a film o' dirt on it, and this is one o' the main reasons it wont read the blue ray disc as the blue ray light has a much tighter beam than the the DVD types/ps2 games

If you have it under warranty you can call Sony and get a replacement.

Message Edited by FLOPTHESHOT on 20-09-2009 08:23 PM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (6,449 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

tomtomrowson wrote:

can someone Arrr, Arrr, please Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty! Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty! explain to me how i can fix this? 

my ps3 will play ps2 games but it will not play ps3 games. the icon to play it just doesnt appear in the 'game' menu.

any ideas anyoneeee? 

http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=147&thread.id=42160&view=by...

have a look

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (6,433 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

[ Edited ]

Tom, Arrr, Arrr, please Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty! Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty! check your private messages. Little yellow envelope in the top right hand corner o' the screen buddy :smileyhappy:

Ugh, this pirate stuff is getting old now.

Message Edited by fski on 20-09-2009 08:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (6,422 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Looks like your PS3 is messed up. Get a new one, whichever if you are in warrenty or not...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (6,415 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]
can you play PS3 games you downloaded from PSN on your hard drive or cant you play those as well ?. If those are ok, buy are replacemeent bluray drive and replace it yourself its easy

Message Edited by existenz1 on 20-09-2009 08:37 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (6,402 Views)
0 Kudos

cheers for all the inputs guys,

YARGH! well i cant download demos and play them. apprently it plays blu ray films fine but i dont have one yet to try it out.

i was reading somewhere else about restoring the ps3 or something? (just wiping the whole thing)??? 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (6,392 Views)
0 Kudos

Don't bother restoring Your PS3 if it's not playing PS3 games. I to have a 60gb PS3, and have exactly the same problem. It plays everything exccept Blu-Ray & PS3. I have a 160gb HDD for My PS3, and have restored it twice, I had to wait 9+hours for the operation to complete, as the HDD size is alot bigger than the standard 60gb. My guess is that it's dirt on the lens that is causing the problem but, My warranty has run out. I can't justify, or afford forking out another £100+ for SONY to replace it, so, I'm now plucking up the courage to take apart the Blu-Ray, and clean it with a Cotton Bud and Isopropyl Alcohol. It has to be dirt which is causing the problem, because it has never crashed or failed a PS2 game, DVD, CD-ROM, DVD+R/-R, while in action, and this has been going on for 6 months now. I have lots of really cool PS2 games and only 4 PS3 games, which are "Resident Evil 5, The Orange Box, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Dynasty Warriors 6". I would really like to play My PS3 games again. Vodka & Cue Tips to-go.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (6,057 Views)
0 Kudos

I had this same problem...thought i was gonna have to spend a ton of money to fix it....but apparently there is an option in the settings that turns on and of the ability of you ps3 to play ps3 or ps2 games. Now i didn't discover this my self, my brother in law did, so i dont really know where this option is. but if you want i can get ahold of him and ask exactly what he did. hope this helps brother.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (5,440 Views)
0 Kudos