Playstation Staff

I'm hardwired and it still takes FOREVER  to download any...

I'm hardwired and it still takes FOREVER  to download anything.  Seems pretty useless, and really disappointing.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 234 (24,608 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: I'm hardwired and it still takes FOREVER  to download any...

It can be slow for me, but the modnation beta (2GB) took me about 40mins give or take
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 234 (24,608 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

compared to the 360 (oh i went there), the ps3 downloads are really slow. game patches especially
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 234 (24,601 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

You guys think you have bad connections?The max connection i can get on my wired PC is 0.40kbps ( or 0.4mbps) Thats the fastest! Never mind the wireless speed :smileysad:

My street is relatively new and they never bothered to put in decent cables and we live kind of far from the ISP place it runs through.

Plus it would cost thousands and thousands of £ to dig up the road and lay new faster cables, which im 100% certain my neighbours would not be best pleased about, just for me to stop lagging online so much :smileysad: lol

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 44 of 234 (24,597 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

If you get the option to background download use it. Then load up an existing demo from your hard drive which should speed things up. For some reason the PS3 architecture prefers downloading under these conditions, although it has to be a context where you can download in the background, i.e. patches and firmware updates won't work this way, although general media should be covered.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 234 (24,585 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

ISP's advertise in Mb (Megabits) as far as I'm aware and so if you're on a 10meg connection you're not getting 10MB (MegaByte), you're getting about 1.25MB.

However, wireless routers advertise in bits too; and not bytes, so the bits and bytes conversion is irrelevant.

So a 54Mbps wireless router will even be able to handle Virgin's 50Mbps connection.

A 54Mbps Wireless G router can handle all UK consumer broadband packages; it's not the limiting factor. Although irrelevant, a 54Mbps router can handle up to 6.25MBps.

Until the UK boradband infrastructure is updated (which at the rate our government is going, will be a bloody long time), the only things we really have to worry about regarding wireless routers is signal strength, security and decent hardware, I reckon.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 234 (24,551 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

microsoft has a limit on update sizes thats why you have to download the burnout major update from the xbox live store, psn has no limit on the size for the updates that can be issued, also i dont see why people have a problem downloading on psn as it is just as quick as xbox live, modnation racer took me 17 minutes to download and mag beta THE UPDATE when you start the game only took 25 minutes, i am hardwired and with sky and get approx 14.5Mbps.  the only time i ever had a slow download was when i put in eye of judgement and that took over 90 minutes easy as there was 1885 updates and they were small so took longer, i personally have no gripes over the speed of psn

WELL DONE SONY your getting there

To Infinity and Beyond
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 47 of 234 (24,534 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Why does the PS3 download so slow?

yea ive had this 2 aswell ive got a netgear router hooked up wireless to the ps3 and L package for net with virginmedia.

its werid it would take me mins to download something large E.G a demo was 850mbs its was a rate of a mb a second  so 850 seconds not long at all.

but recently as its gone on and on its taken longer and i find files  over 800mbs take up to a hour to download.

i also find that the amount of people downloading a certian thing may affect its time .. modnation racers was gonna take nigh on 1 hour 30 to download i downloaded about 1200 took me a hour and then turned it off.

i came back 1am in the morning sparked the ps3 up and the remnaining 800 took less than 10 mins to download 800mbs... so it may be the traffic on PSN aswell that could affect downloading times.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 234 (24,524 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

lexluthor08 wrote:
I just downloaded 2 movies. I started at like 7pm on 6/20/09 and here it is almost 3pm on 6/21/09 and it still has a couple of hours to go. Almost seems pointless to download anything
sadly the movie store is differnt kettle of fish . as that really is BAD!!! . i think everyone suffers from crap speeds from there due to poor amounts of bandwith. it still amases me now , that you can pay £2-15 for a film but you can download a free demo 3x faster...what a joke....unless the service has improved recently
Free Image Hosting

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 234 (24,522 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Symonator wrote:
so... its yur network/connection not the "ps3"

if it were, my 360/Wii and wireless laptops would also suffer from slow download speeds. they don't.

it was so bad for me that my PS3 is now the only wirless hardware that i've got connected to the net through wire. mind,i suffer no problems while playing on-line games, just when downloading.

to those who own a 360 as well...

try downloading a demo  of the same game (say Megaman 9) on both systems as a guide to how fast each downloads.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 234 (24,515 Views)
0 Kudos