Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: The PlayStation 3 Internet Browser Thread

[ Edited ]

As a bonus it appears the new browser still comes with the "Cookie Monster" :smileywink:

No, I haven't lost it more than usual; cookies setup by web sites such as Wikipedia (for Desktop view) and Netflix (for login information), expire long before they're supposed to, requiring you to re-login etc... Anyone else noticed this?

ThinkPad T61 (2GB / 2.4GhZ dual core),
PS3 (256MB), PS2 (32MB), PS1 (2MB)
Commodore Amiga (512k), Amstrad PC-1512 (512k --> 640k + Nec-v30),
Atari 800XL (64k), Atari 400 (16k), Commodore Vic-20 (3.5k).

The PlayStation 3 Internet Browser Thread
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 81 of 289 (782 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Tribble6 wrote:

As a bonus it appears the new browser still comes with the "Cookie Monster" :smileywink:

No, I haven't lost it more than usual; cookies setup by web sites such as Wikipedia (for Desktop view) and Netflix (for login information), expire long before they're supposed to, requiring you to re-login etc... Anyone else noticed this?

Think Its got worse... like the Storage area is no longer as big as it was, aka the scratch disk ( Swap disk in linux systems ) has shrunk for the shared browser, Think this was the reason behind Streaming of files being removed with the New Presets with java script/HTML using more memory and HDD space. Normal ratio is meant to be Double the physical memory including video ram = swap disk size.

Depends how close the PS3 mirrors its original OS heritage. 

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 82 of 289 (772 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

GraphiteGB wrote:

Think Its got worse... like the Storage area is no longer as big as it was, aka the scratch disk ( Swap disk in linux systems ) has shrunk for the shared browser, Think this was the reason behind Streaming of files being removed with the New Presets with java script/HTML using more memory and HDD space. Normal ratio is meant to be Double the physical memory including video ram = swap disk size.

Depends how close the PS3 mirrors its original OS heritage.  

Yeah, I reckon so (if bookmarks can be stored permanently, why not cookies...). I'm hoping an update is imminent as the quite frequent long pauses on the BBC News site, which I peruse most nights, is getting rather tiresome (this was one of the few web sites that used to work perfectly in the old browser...).

BTW, do you find the PS3 specific PlayStation site too simplistic (also rather slow in the new browser), even if the presentation is good? I tried to look at the site (standard version) in Google TV and it kept crashing Chrome... 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 83 of 289 (765 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

You can't run the PS3 speciic SD sites in normal PC browsers the layout engine of normal PC browser won't render it correctly.

Thats likely why Chrome light Crashes.

Yes they are to simple/basic.    

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 84 of 289 (745 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

I looked at SD site by resettling display settings and plugging in my PS2 lead. Like i said in your playstation.com thread the SD site needs pulling it's so out of date FW 3.55 is now available indeed so relevant in december 2010. :Lol:

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 85 of 289 (739 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

PS3 browser users can now log in to the UK (EU) and US PlayStation Blog sites and post messages - yay :smileyhappy:.

The fact the trailers don't work on the US Blog (require Flash 10.x ?) is not so good... 

If you see a strange message from me posted (using PS3 browser, of course) on the Aliens: Colonial Marines blog (US), the associated message is awaiting moderation as I included a link (URL's are automatically converted to links) to the PS3YouTube (480p) version of the video (given that the video is promoting the game and PS3YouTube is free to use, should be o.k.?).

P.S. Once a video loads on PS3YouTube, if the video keeps stopping and starting (not buffering) and normally videos stream o.k., try refreshing the page - works for me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 86 of 289 (694 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

As covered previously, Sony should ideally make a small change to the browser so you always edit text on the web page and not via the text entry dialog (as for screen resolutions below 1080p/i), as this doesn't work for Rich Text editing.

Here's how you can currently post a perfectly formatted reply to a post on this forum, where using a display resolution below 1080p/i:

1. Click Reply link. 
  2. Click "Quote" link and then press Circle button to immediately exit text entry dialog.
  3. Click "HTML" tab and click text area to begin editing.
  4. If you're going to be entering more than one paragraph, copy the blank paragraph <p>&nbsp;</p> (at end of HTML) to the clipboard.
  5. Replace &nbsp;, within last blank paragraph, with your paragraph text.
  6. If you have another paragraph, paste two copies of the blank paragraph to the end of HTML and go to step 4.
  7. Press Start to accept changes.
  8. Click Preview tab and if you need to make changes, only use HTML tab.

If you want to include smiley emoticon, enter a colon followed by smiley and one of the following words and another colon:

happy :smileyhappy:, indifferent :smileyindifferent:, mad :smileymad:, sad :smileysad:, surprised :smileysurprised:, tongue :smileytongue:, wink :smileywink:, embarrassed :smileyembarrassed: 

For the following icons, enter the word listed surrounded by colons: No-no :No-no:, Stupid :Stupid:, Thumbs :Thumbs:, xRolleyes :xRolleyes:, Lol :Lol:

If you want to include a link in your post, enter <a href="link address">link text</a>, e.g. <a  href="http://sony.com">Sony</a> would add a Sony link. To get the link to open in a new window, insert a space followed by target="_blank" after the link address.

If you want to refer to another thread / post in this forum, ideally copy the address to the clipboard before you start your reply as you can then just paste the address. Typically, you would not specify the target="_blank" attribute for forum links.

To copy address of any page, load page in the browser and press Triangle and select "Copy Address of This Page" from File menu. If there's a link that refers to a specific point within a page (as for numbered message links in this forum (on left hand side of thread)), you can copy address of these by positioning cursor on link and pressing Triangle and selecting  "Copy Address of This Link" from File menu.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 87 of 289 (647 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

PS3 Browser & Firmware 4.2

[ Edited ]

If you've set the PS3 browser's home page to a search site (Google, Bing etc), you may not realize it, but the fact you now see a blinking text cursor in the search text box means Sony have made an important change to the browser.

Like in the old NetFront browser, once a text box receives focus, it retains focus after the PS3's text entry dialog has been closed and maintains the last text cursor position within the text box. This not only resolves the issues with this and the U.S. forum (adding an emoticon zapped whole message and spell check didn't work etc), for the first time in the PS3 browser, you can now pick a suggestion from the drop down list displayed for search text boxes (as for this forum and Google etc).

If your screen resolution is below 1080p/i, you can also use the search suggestions, however, editing is still via the text entry dialog, which means Rich Text editing (as for forum messages) still doesn't work. It's a shame Sony didn't at least switch to on-screen editing for 720p users.

The PS3 remote missed the boat this time and using the cursor keys to navigate a web page hasn't been improved (cursoring down still jumps to the right, at bottom of the screen (hey?) and you can't use search suggestions etc). Hopefully Sony will show the remote some TLC in time for Microsoft's launch of IE on the X-Box 360 as in terms of real world usage, this blows away the Kinect (as far as navigating a web page is concerned, even if you can show Kinect "the bird" to close browser window :smileywink:).

Other issues which have been addressed:

• Links that refer to a specific point within a web page (end with #<Anchor name>) now scroll to the specified anchor.

• The clipboard popup no longer re-appears after copying some text to the clipboard, when you subsequently click a link. It does now appear for this forum's Spell Check (hey?), but you can just press Circle to cancel clipboard menu.

• Where you have several windows open with lots of images, more images are now displayed o.k. (not perfect).

All other issues are still outstanding, such as the inability to log in to Hotmail and I still encountered some stability issues (had a few temporary lockups (recovers after a couple minutes)), and the popup issue reported by gymno74 still applies (he found that if you are moving between forums on this site, you can keep the handy thread popups by blocking cookies (not necessary if you typically use a bookmark to visit just the PS3 forum etc)).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 88 of 289 (600 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Browser & Firmware 4.2

i've found a couple of little baddies introduced with v.4.20 that i thought worth mentioning:

the 1st happens on this very page funnily enough & as yet, i haven't been able to recreate it elsewhere.

i'll put it this way. whatever you do, don't hold the [DOWN] button on the d-pad to quickly scroll to the

bottom of the page. there'll be a full-on freeze at the same point every time.

the 2nd one concerns this website: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

it incorporates an 'auto formatting / layout' type feature, which until 4.20 worked perfectly at 1080i/p.

as mentioned earlier in this thread, at resolutions below 1080, it didn't really work & things appeared

squashed. the solution is / was (haven't checked if still working) to change 'view' to maximum size & 'resolution' to +2 in the 'tools' menu.

this problem now occurs at 1080 as well & in addition, causes the browser such a problem that pages on the site take forever to load, with many of the graphics missing.

the only solution i've found to this is to change 'display area' from standard to full pixel, again in the 'tools' menu, as setting 'view' to maximum stretches things too much & the +1 & +2 resolutions are unavailable at 1080.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 89 of 289 (531 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: PS3 Browser & Firmware 4.2

[ Edited ]

gymno74 wrote:

Setting 'view' to maximum stretches things too much & the +1 & +2 resolutions are unavailable at 1080.

Thats the Website coding again not actualy the PS3 browser. It does that on PCs, the site takes advantage of the Extra space.

Having a bigger screen does not allways result in better web page.....

pic30.png

Theres now a massive gap between post titles and the date and poster. making it harder to use on PC with Higher resolutions.  

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 90 of 289 (528 Views)
0 Kudos