22 Oct 2011
By: Xaton

32 Posts

PS3 no longer sends HD output over DVI connection to Philips Plasma

7 Replies 513 Views Created 22-10-2011

Have tried searching for a solution to this without success . I have an original 60gb PS3 connected to a 5 year old Philips 50PF7320 plasma TV, which is HD, but only has a DVI input.  All worked fine until around 6 months ago when (I think) after a system update, the PS3 refused to talk to the TV.

The TV still works perfectly with a DVI feed from the SkyHD box; the Playstation will also happily output in HD to a (different) HD TV over HDMI, so I'm sure there is no malfunction with either piece of equipment.  My suspicion is that there was some HDCP protocol update to the PS3 which has made it fall out with the TV; so:

(i) Does this sounds plausible?; if so,
(ii) Is there any way around it?; if not,
(iii) Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Thanks for any advice!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8 (513 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Re: PS3 no longer sends HD output over DVI connection to Philips Plasma

(i) Yes
(ii) Sadly dont think so
(iii) A firmware could have blocked some aspects of the HDCP protocol
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8 (504 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

ii = Switch to component 1080p cable to DVI conversion connection. Component does convert to DVI if the port has Analogue connections not pure digital.
SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner. Mobile 15 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user.
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8 (496 Views)
0 Kudos

Thanks for this - TV does accept analogue, so I'll give it a go. A lot cheaper than buying a new TV (and I don't think the TV's firmware can be updated)...
I'll post an update once I've got the cable - cheers
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8 (462 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Stupid question maybe - but have you tested the same cable with another source device ?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8 (455 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Have you checked your settings in PS3?

A firmware update might have added some options you actively have to select to get it working like before.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8 (447 Views)
0 Kudos

Yeah - checked the cables, checked and re-checked all the display options on the PS3 and the settings on the TV... no luck. Was hoping it might be recognised and fixed in a later update (although that was always unlikely, given that updates tend to be 'forward looking' rather than backwards. Have ordered cables, so hopefully a couple of days away from resolution- won't be quite as good as the original connection, but will be a lot better than SD.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8 (434 Views)
0 Kudos

Cables came this week, tested them tonight and I'm pleased to report that it works! Picture is more or less the same as it was over digital DVI - much, much better than the scart connection. Thanks @GraphiteGB for your suggestion.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8 (388 Views)
0 Kudos