18 Jun 2012
Playstation Staff

Having serious trouble with PSN downloads

[ Edited ]
5 Replies 568 Views edited 18-06-2012

I've got a very frustrating issue and i'm lost with what to do. It all started when I was downloading Infamous 2, one of my PS+ freebies this month. When I tried to install it, it wouldn't install. I looked up the error code and found that I needed to re-download the game. So I did, and when I checked up on my PS3 it was alternating between pending and downloading, and no matter what I tried, would not download. I had to cancel the download and try again. This happened to me THREE more times.

Someone told me to try rebuilding the database and restoring the file system. When I tried to restore the file system, I was told that the system was corrupted, and that it had to be formatted. This meant erasing 300GB of content on the system, which would be a pain in the backside to put back on, and would take me a long time. However, what needs to be done needs to be done, right? I went through with the formatting, and began downloading all my games again, installing games e.t.c.

After a few hours of this, and half an hour playing on BF3 after it installed, I left my PS3 for 40 minutes downloading the Close Quarters DLC for BF3. When I looked closely, I saw that the download was again alternating between downloading and pending, and would not download... 

So one more time, I went to rebuild the database, and restore the file system, upon which I was told yet again that the system was corrupted, and needed to be formatted, again...

I've just completed that second format, and quite frankly, i'm very annoyed at what i'm having to deal with here. Can anyone give me a solution to my problem? I would be most grateful!

Extra notes:

PS3 model number: CECH-2003A (Original 120GB Slimline)

Hard Disk: Samsung M7 640GB

EDIT: When alternating between pending and downloading, not a single megabyte will download, not even for the few seconds it says "Downloading".

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (568 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Re: Having serious trouble with PSN downloads

[ Edited ]

If you want the PS3 just instantly fixed then Just get another 2.5 sata HDD to install. 

Continued failure of the same HDD normaly means your Drives Early disc sectors are not restoring to working order and the PS3 needs these sectors

Other wise it will likely not be a quick fix if you want it done properly. There no way around that.

Change the HDD back, If you have an other HDD free.

Use a smaller Drive size if you have it, just so you get the PS3 up and running again. This will prove its the other drive thats failing or not. (The PS3 allready says it is)

Use a BD title First that installs game data direct to HDD.  No download content. Nothing from PSN. You need to do this is to show to your self that the Coruption is caused by the 640GB HDD failure.

You may still be able to Partly use the 640GB HDD.

Get a USB2 SATA HDD encloser (£8) for the other Internal Drive and try to reformat it to Fat 32 single partition with a full format, Not a quick format. The reason you use Fat 32 is because the reserved area for the file system table is the lowest possible out of the file storage systems. You then run a Format recheck to ensure the HDD was actualy erased cleanly. This should fail at some point showing the bad sectors. 

I've Killed 3 Laptop HDDs in my life time but None were in the PS3s only laptops, HDD failures are not that rare for me.  

Edit : Check your anti surge protector as well to see if its been tripped.   

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Mobile 14 inch Screen Android kit kat 4.43 user. Pre ordered Kindle Fire TV
Don't Need DLNA with a HTML5 browser in PS4...
Click for Plex.tv Beta video running on PS4 browser.. Enable the 1080p mode
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (546 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response.

Right now i'm trying to format the hard disk using my laptop but it cannot read it, so i'm going to take it out of the caddy and put it in properly and format using a Windows disc. Hopefully then I will be able to pick it up and format to FAT32.

I have a question though, is this related to the alternating downloading/pending issue?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (530 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Liam2349 wrote:

Thanks for your response.

Right now i'm trying to format the hard disk using my laptop but it cannot read it, so i'm going to take it out of the caddy and put it in properly and format using a Windows disc. Hopefully then I will be able to pick it up and format to FAT32.

I have a question though, is this related to the alternating downloading/pending issue?

Pass on the download issue. No experience with that. 

Try swiss army knife application for Formating HDD in Fat 32 single partition. If the windows disc only does quick format. 

If you get a Clean format with no verification errors. you may be able to continue the use of the drive but It did fail once before so could do again.

SCEE PS3/PS4 Beta Tester. Paid for NowTV subscription user from 03/2013 to 02/2014. VM cable user, SKY+HD User, Game Capture HD II Owner.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (510 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

Playstation Staff

Ok, so I've managed to wipe the hard disk clean, and got my PS3 to format it properly from there instead of doing the quick format it did previously. This time everything was wiped.

I thought my problem had been solved, but was testing things out, and more importantly seeing if Infamous 2 still refused to download. Today, the sound was randomly cutting out every few seconds on Arkham City. After that, I got the downloading/pending issue again with Infamous 2 at 91%...

I'm seriously lost and very annoyed. I'm starting to think my PS3 is just breaking, but how could that break one particular download every time?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (447 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

So the HDD curruption Message is gone because it was able to finaly write to the HDD table

What happens if you download infamous 2 to on an other HDD in the same unit.

If 2 HDD drives fail its likely not the HDDs.

Its likely a more expensive and soon to be terminal Motherboard failure... Long Usage can cause the fault when Reading and writing a lot of data.    

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (439 Views)
0 Kudos