PlayStation®3

PS3 General

PS3 General

03 Dec 2010
By: DementedApe

3 Posts

HDMI output not working- already tried the soft reset.

7 Replies 1885 Views Created 03-12-2010

My PS3 slim is not displaying any video when using the HDMI output. However, it works when using the AV cable supplied with it.
I've already tried resetting it (holding down power button till you hear 2 beeps) but nothing's working. I've tried it on 2 TVs, and both have the same result. And it was working fine this morning!
Please help

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (1,885 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Re: HDMI output not working- already tried the soft reset.

Have you tried a different hdmi cable?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (1,848 Views)
0 Kudos

Yep lol

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (1,828 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

did you plug the hdmi cable in or out with power on the TV/ps3 :smileyindifferent: ?!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (1,822 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

This happened to me the other weekend (80Gb PS3 unit), but it has fixed itself! I did the following:

1) Set yourself up with the AV cable (as you have done)

2) Run a full back up of your system to an external (FAT32 formatted) hard drive

3) Go into the settings menu and select "Restore PS3 system" - this will format the PS3 and take it back to it's just out of box state

4) My PS3 started working fine on the HDMI cable

5) Restore back up from external drive

6) After the restart the HDMI was not working again, however after a restart or two it started working again?!

This is no way a certain fix (I think maybe the HDMI board in the way out, but it has been fine for a fortnight - even getting a good hammering on GT5!) but certainly worth a try?

Don't suppose you were running F1 2010 when it failed? I'd left it running whilst I ate lunch, came back turned the TV back on and the screen was blank :-I

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (1,816 Views)
0 Kudos

@T-e-X
I tried both :smileytongue:

@Maddy
Thanks for the suggestion- I didn't want to resort to that, but I may have to. Thing is, this happened yesterday too, and it magically started working this morning! And now it's stopped again :smileytongue: But thanks a lot for the help :smileyhappy:
And no, I don't have F1, I was playng Black Ops :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (1,807 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Ahh, maybe it is a hardware failure (soon to be terminal?). Mine has only done it one, about 2 weeks ago and hasn't done it since... even when I've tried to get it very hot by running F@H all day whilst at work! Got mine insured with GAME so not too fussed if it goes pop for good (although would prefer not to have the hassle obs!)
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (1,804 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

[ Edited ]

DementedApe wrote:
@T-e-X
I tried both :smileytongue:

@Maddy
Thanks for the suggestion- I didn't want to resort to that, but I may have to. Thing is, this happened yesterday too, and it magically started working this morning! And now it's stopped again :smileytongue: But thanks a lot for the help :smileyhappy:
And no, I don't have F1, I was playng Black Ops :smileyvery-happy:

under NO circumstances should ONE tamper with the hdmi ports when theres is power on the units.. you may break the TV or the ps3.. and sounds like you did that with the hdmi port on the ps3..

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (1,779 Views)
0 Kudos