Level 9

Re: Best and safest way to turn off PS3??

I never shut mine down from in game after Borderlands and I think Assassins Creed 2 as they used to crash, so now I quit from in-game let it idle for a minute on the XMB (since I re-flowed it :smileywink: then turn it off after the Blue-ray dive stops.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31 (1,361 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

[ Edited ]

I usually quit to the xmb and check my messages before I turn the system off but I never turn it off completely, the stand-by mode uses very little electricity anyway and it's so convenient to be able to turn your system back on with the controller.

If a game locks up then it's a different story though. First make sure the hard drive light stops flashing as not all game freezes lock up your system (Fallout 3). Then press and hold the power button on front of your PS3 till it beeps, it will then shut itself down safely but your controller will stay on - to shut down your controller hold down the sony button (the one u use to exit games and shut down your system) for a few seconds until the light goes out on the controller. You can then turn your system back on using the controller.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31 (1,349 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

[ Edited ]

I never shut off while a game is on, quit to the XMB and then off from there.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31 (1,341 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

I would take the disc out first before shutting it down. Then again I have this weird OCD thing about leaving a disc in a machine.

My procedure is quit the game via XMB, eject the disc and then shutdown via XMB.

I don't think you are doing any damage doing it your way, like I said I have and OCD about leaving discs in the PS3.

Unofficial U.K Playstation.com Forums flickr Group |  | Last Platinum: NFS Hot Pursuit
>>> click here for my ps3 mac theme <<<
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31 (1,340 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

I hit the start button,exit the game and then select the turn off,A few times I did'nt know you had to do that and when I turned my ps3 back on I got an error message saying "ps3 was not turned off properly" :smileysurprised:,So then I realised you had to do it that way.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31 (1,329 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

..you're not.. supposed to get any problems, at least, if you use shutdown from the xmb or the ps-menu. Haven't seen a game have a save-game problem from that if you do it in game either, even during loading, since a few firmwares back..
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 31 (1,323 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

ytevo79 : you said re-flowed ?....was it a 60GB model?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31 (1,312 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 2

switch it off in game either by holding the ps button for 3-4 secs and chosing turn off

or press the ps button and navigate the xmb to turn off

no harm will come to it if you turn it off mid game just as long as its not saving or loading (sony put the feature in so it is safe)

I turn off my ps3 when not in use thats because I have had a two experiences with my pc tft monitors which I also used to leave on standby all the time. twice I went to bed and when I attempted to turn it on in the morning the monitor malfunctioned.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31 (1,304 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

This.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31 (1,301 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Jonesy-ov-s5 wrote:
what i do is, press the ps button then press quit game and then i go over to the playstation and press the eject on the console and take out the game and then i press the power button on the console to shut it down, i dont like leaving a game in, just incase either it YLOD's or the blu-ray drive just all of a sudden dunt power up or the eject button dunt work.

Same.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31 (1,294 Views)
0 Kudos