By bobchickenkfc

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post

Why vita will fail (not trolling just fact)

99 Replies 1,996 Views Created 22-04-2012

Just before I get accused of trolling I own the vita! but sold it when I came to my senses hear me out....

The  Vita is entering a market dominated by small and cheap games made popular by  the iPhone. The portions of the market not dominated by mobile device app  stores, Nintendo has a strangle hold on. Nintendo offers the only experiences  people can’t get on the app store by developing games like Mario and Zelda that  gamers have grown up with. If the Vita can’t give something to gamers they can’t  buy anywhere else it will fail.

The price point is another barrier preventing success for the Vita. Sony  strategically priced the Vita at $250 to match the 3DS, but Nintendo retaliated  by lowering their handheld’s price to $170. More important than the price is the  lack of compelling games. Of course the Vita has Uncharted, Super Stardust, and  other Sony exclusives gamers have come to love, but that is the problem. These  games are home console experiences that are better suited for the PS3. Why would  anyone want to play Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Vita right after playing Uncharted  3? The game fully showcased what the PS3 was capable of by endowing gamers  with masterful set pieces. Now, a few months’ later gamers are expected to shell  out $50 plus the price of a Vita, not to mention the terrible memory  card price, to play a stripped down version of Uncharted. Stripped down is a  tough way to label Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which definitely looks great, but  the portable version does not hold up to its big brother.

Sony is under the impression that gamers want to play the same, or close to  the same, experience on the go. This kind of experience cannot be played out in  the ten to fifteen minute walks down the street or wait at the doctor’s office.  The only time playing the Vita could be practical for any gamer is for vacation  or traveling for business. Sony’s primary target group is too small of a niche;  there just isn’t a big enough market of gamers traveling across the country  looking for a home console experience on the go.

Another problem Sony will have in the American market is that the Americans  does not buy into dedicated hand held’s like the Japanese. If the Vita is to  succeed, it has to win over the Japanese market, which it has failed to do so  far. The Japanese loved the PSP, but that was mainly due to games like Monster  Hunter. A game, which is notably absent from the launch line up, but is  available on the 3DS.

Sony’s largest conundrum is that the Vita is offering sub par experiences  already available on consoles. If Sony wants to find success for the Vita they  need to shift their focus to something that works for the Vita alone; a game  experience that cannot be replicated on any other format. Offering a collection  of experiences available on the iPhone and home consoles is not enough to keep  the Vita boat afloat. 

0 Kudos
LABELS:
'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

Stew2000 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

bobchickenkfc wrote:

No its an extra device to carry around as well as a phone, do you see the issue here?

no

+1
I have a T280i. basic phone for basic needs.

I have a blackberry to small to game with. :D

I carry

Kindle 3G

Vita

3Ds

Blackberry

I bet all of the above take less space and less weight than my Sega Game Gear

So can read, phone or game if i feel like it

Re: Why vita will fail (not trolling just opinion)

[ Edited ]

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Beta Tester
/16

MadforitUK

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadforitUK
Accepted Solution
Yeah bob, I'm really going to play a full length game with no input on a touchscreen on my Desire HD.

take ipod, phone and vita out in my bag/pockets everyday.

issue bob what's the imaginary issue you have with the vita?

/16

xElfenLied_US

85%
06 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
xElfenLied_US
Accepted Solution
And me. My phone isn't suitable for gaming. I can do the usual text, call, take pics, go on Twitter, Facebook, and just about have a decent browser, but it's not a powerful portable gaming system!
0 Kudos

Не верь, не бойся, не проси

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
/16

Furys-embrace

94%
07 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Furys-embrace
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

Stew2000 wrote:

CrustyJockStrap wrote:

bobchickenkfc wrote:

No its an extra device to carry around as well as a phone, do you see the issue here?

no

+1
I have a T280i. basic phone for basic needs.

I have a blackberry to small to game with. :D

I carry

Kindle 3G

Vita

3Ds

Blackberry

I bet all of the above take less space and less weight than my Sega Game Gear

So can read, phone or game if i feel like it

You SERIOUSLY carry all that sh*t around with you? You'd be a muggers wet dream.

0 Kudos

/16

EdwCarnby

98%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
EdwCarnby
Accepted Solution
Yep dude, it's no NGAGE. And a good thing, too!
But at the same time, a question tends to be brought up - with the smartphone market going at full throttle is there room for the Vita? Guess we will find out soon enough. I hope so :Thumbs:
0 Kudos

jfontyman

94%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
jfontyman
Accepted Solution

EdwCarnby wrote:
But at the same time, a question tends to be brought up - with the smartphone market going at full throttle is there room for the Vita? Guess we will find out soon enough. I hope so :Thumbs:

The market has changed because of the smarthphones and smart tv's, let's take for example ....Everybody's Golf for Vita £27 or Let's Golf for £0.

Why would the average person pay £15-£35 when they can get something for £0-£5, for the experience? I don't have a Vita and would love one, but I feel the handheld market has changed, will the Vita fail? That depends on how failure is defined, if it needs 25mn sold to be a success, then no I don't think it will reach those numbers.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

jfontyman wrote:

EdwCarnby wrote:

The market has changed because of the smarthphones and smart tv's, let's take for example .....Everybody's Golf for Vita £27 or Let's Golf for £0.

Why would the average person pay £15-£35 when they can get something for £0-£5, for the experience?

easy everybody's golf is a great game but lets golf is crap.

Vita is primerraly a games console smartphones are not.

Give me a dedicated gaming devivce over a smartphone anyday.

Vita is for gamers not everyday people

[ Edited ]

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
/16

Stew2000

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Stew2000
Accepted Solution
It's like saying why play Hustle Kings when the real thing is more of an achievement.

Beta Tester
/16

McNeilio

• Beta Tester
95%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
McNeilio
Accepted Solution
i love a game of pool or snooker but i also love beating people online at it as well and hustle kings is the best pool snooker game available imo
0 Kudos

Let the others come after us. We welcome the chase
Bill Struth 1875-1956
Beta Tester
/16

MadforitUK

• Beta Tester
98%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
MadforitUK
Accepted Solution
well said crusty!

anyone who thinks gaming on a smartphone is in anyway close to the vita is deranged.

smartphones to gaming is like the Wii, no substance IMO (not trolling just fact)!
0 Kudos

/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Yeah but what everyone commenting here is failing to relise that for a proper gaming experience YOU CAN BUY A HOME GAME CONSOLE for the 30 mins or so you may spending communing or your lunch break at work a casual IOS game is fine for a quick gaming fix so what market is Sony actually going for? people that cant afford tv's??? there just isnt a market there hasn't the Japanese sales figures (where portables are usually king) enough of an indication for people.

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

bobchickenkfc wrote:

Yeah but what everyone commenting here is failing to relise that for a proper gaming experience YOU CAN BUY A HOME GAME CONSOLE for the 30 mins or so you may spending communing or your lunch break at work a casual IOS game is fine for a quick gaming fix so what market is Sony actually going for? people that cant afford tv's??? there just isnt a market there hasn't the Japanese sales figures (where portables are usually king) enough of an indication for people.

But people want it on the go, you may not but their are people out their that do.

A casuall IOS game may be fine for you but others want more like me.

Sony is going for the handheld gaming market the same as the Nintendo 3DS nothing to do with no TV's!

Peopel spen a big amount of time traveling and the Vita is Ideal for that.

Sales always drop after launch it is a fact, but they always pick up in arround 8 to 12 months as it has more to offer.

The Vita may not be for you but pleanty of people it fits perfectly for.

Yes the Vita cost's more than the Ps3 just as the 3DS orginly cost more than the Wii and the PSP originaly cost more than the Ps2.

It's new hardware that is how it goes the price will drop soon enough but the Ps3 tech is over 5 years old so it has had time to reduce in price due to parts becoming cheaper to make.

If Sales drop more than sony hope they will have to drop the price but right now it doing ok and better than the 3DS did after launch.

As for the market changing yes that may be so but both Sony and Nintendo have addapted to this for their dedicated games consoles.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

At the end of the day opinions are like backsides.

Everybody has one and other clain it to be full of crap.

As long as people are happy what's it matter I am happy I kept mine you are happy you sold yours.

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution

Agreed.

0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
/16

bobchickenkfc

81%
04 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bobchickenkfc
Accepted Solution
Also smart phones are evolving at an amazing rate how long before it starts producing vita quality games? 1 or 2 years ,max. Sony are mad if they think they will get a 5 year lifecycle out of it
0 Kudos

'shouldn't it be 'mofu?'
MVP
/16

steven_dutch

• MVP
85%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steven_dutch
Accepted Solution

bobchickenkfc schreef:
Also smart phones are evolving at an amazing rate how long before it starts producing vita quality games? 1 or 2 years ,max. Sony are mad if they think they will get a 5 year lifecycle out of it

No way will we see a smart phone game as good as Uncharted: Golden Abyss within two years. 

0 Kudos

/16

CrustyJockStrap

91%
10 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
CrustyJockStrap
Accepted Solution

steven_dutch wrote:

bobchickenkfc schreef:

No way will we see a smart phone game as good as Uncharted: Golden Abyss within two years. 

Even if they are smartphones are getting smaller, give me a bigger screen to play on lol

0 Kudos

Below is a Signature

MVP
/16

steven_dutch

• MVP
85%
08 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
steven_dutch
Accepted Solution

CrustyJockStrap schreef:

steven_dutch wrote:

bobchickenkfc schreef:

Even if they are smartphones are getting smaller, give me a bigger screen to play on lol

Indeed, as well as shoulder buttons and two thumbsticks :smileyhappy:

Anyway, like you said before, I don't understand why smartphones and handhelds are being compared?

I use my phone for calling and handy apps, and my Vita for gaming while my wife can watch the telly.

Don't remember ever being as pleased with a handheld as I am with the Vita.

I had the Game Boy, Game Gear, Game Boy advance and PSP. Think I played the origional Game Boy most from that list. I'm convinced the Vita will be my most played handheld though. Simply can't put it down.

Oh well, if other people get a better gaming experience from a smartphone, so be it. I just can't see it happening for myself anytime soon.

0 Kudos

/16

Stew2000

80%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
Stew2000
Accepted Solution
I've used my PSP alot for Music and Video. The Vita is just going to make that expand even more.
0 Kudos

/16

AlexAtkinUK

86%
05 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
AlexAtkinUK
Accepted Solution

I do not even travel much and when I do I cannot game because I get travel sick if I look at a screen or read.  However I got the Vita for convenience, for its unique features and to be able to game when visiting friends/relatives.  Plus I get to play Sony exclusive games on a console which I believe is more comfortable than dual-shock. (always found it uncomfortable)

I have already spent more time playing Virtua Tennis 4 than I ever did on Virtua Tennis 3 on Xbox 360.  Despite the fact I bought Virtua Tennis 2009 ages ago, I barely played it so I figured no point getting 4, until I realised WHY I didn't play it and that Vita would be different.

The problem is to play a game on Xbox/PS3 I have to decide to do so, power up the TV, surround system and wait for the console to boot up.  In that time I can already be playing the game on Vita.

I realised this meant I am less likely to play games in general, especially games where I expect to be playing for shorter periods.  I prioritise games I might spend a while on or which work better on a big screen, like racing games.  So I bought Virtua Tennis 4 on Vita and completed world tour twice in three days, not least because I can leave it in standby so no waiting for it to load.

That is not to say it ONLY applies to shorter games.  I have actually found myself playing Virtua Tennis on my Vita for many hours at a time once I actually got started.  Its just that initial bootup where I get sidetracked and think "meh, I think I will watch Netflix instead".  Of course, with Vita I also find myself gaming between adverts on the TV or between episodes on Netflix.  So in general, its just made me game a lot more.

Its also why I quite like how TOM Blitz works.  Because I bought Bejeweled 2 on Xbox ages ago but never go on it, because it takes about as long to load up as I would spend playing it.  With TOM however because you get a finite number of lives, they run out before I get bored so it stays fresh.

Okay so I guess Bejeweled Blitz is available on smartphones and facebook, etc.  The thing is, TOM is fun because I am competing against people on my PSN friends list.  Whereas games on smartphone could be using any one of several online gaming systems, or none at all.  Its just not the same experience as having a single consolidated friends list, which is also why Vita has finally pulled me over to use PSN at all.  Because now thanks to Near I have formed a friends list of people who live nearby.  As I primarily game on Xbox, until now all my friends were from playing Burnout Revenge online. 

So Vita has been a real positive for me and Sony as its made my Playstation experience that bit closer to what I am used to on Xbox, and given me some people to compete with.  Even if Vita fails, those friends will still be there on PS3/PS4 so its a win for Sony.  I already managed to get pretty much everyone on my friends list playing TOM Blitz.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
/16

bearbear807

88%
02 Rank
Progress
Playstation Staff

Problem Solved

View Original Post
bearbear807
Accepted Solution
The vita won't fail, game developers ain't so stupid to kill them selves, although low price sell high quantity can make a profit, but this just going to kill the industry if they bring out aaa games at a low price. However I can say similar types games of wannabes like gameloft will try to make rip off of everything at a low price then rip you off by monthly charges and add ons. I cant see such a game have on par experience with console titles. Although it may have good graphic, but no substance, a game isn't just about graphics but also in depth story and gameplay experience
0 Kudos

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
View our house rules for posts
Post Reply Update Reply Cancel