25 Feb 2012
By Jonas89
Playstation Staff

'Near'-location totally wrong

26 Replies 2,949 Views Created 25-02-2012

Hello,

Am very satisfied with my PS Vita (WiFi only model), but I have a problem ...

If I go to the 'near'-app, the PS Vita has a totally wrong location to where I live. The location is 55 km (35 miles) wrong. Also at 'maps' is the same problem.

My router (Apple Time Capsule) is not the problem, because on my iPad 2 (also WiFi-only model), he givesback the correct location from where I live. (on same WiFi router)

also at a different WiFi network around here tested and "problem" remains the same ...

HELP ......

Greetings Jonas89 :smileyhappy:

(sorry for my bad english)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27 (2,949 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: 'Near'-location totally wrong

Im getting the same issue but mine is nearly 300 miles out - I live in Suffolk, its showing Manchester for me! On the bright side it shows there's ALOT of gamers in Manchester. However if I leave this area and go to the nearest town it gets it pin point right at my girlfriends house within 1m of myself. strange
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27 (2,939 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

First please use search as there's a few threads about this now, from what people can make out there is a general problem with the location settings on the vita as it is affecting both 3g and WiFi models, there has yet to be a official response from Sony on this issue (other than deleting a lot of the threads about the problem!!)
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27 (2,931 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

mine is showing me the road i live on, will people be able to see this?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27 (2,910 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

No, people can only see how far others are from them.

When getting your location on the WiFi model, it can only go off the location of the IP address which is rarely ever accurate, sometimes it'll go to your nearest exchange, sometimes it won't even do that!

Otherwise, it may try and do it via your MAC address from the router, to see if it is in the skyhook database or something. But it'll never be 100% accurate for everyone on the WiFi model.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27 (2,902 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

no it wont @hand and nail cream

it doesnt even show a map just a cross hair with a raduis, dont worry near is cool , if you dont like it dont send your avatar ( in the near options)
mine picks me up nicely and ive found a few mates who i didnt even know had a vita
im using the airport express as well i think a software fix will sort this
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27 (2,899 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I would have thought it would just go off your postcode in your account data if you were on your home network - would make sense to set this as an option really...or to manually set a location.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27 (2,897 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

it should do - mine picks up my road and area ( not the door number as that would be tooo accurate for my liking)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27 (2,892 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Location problems may be fixed by doing this :

http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

Rotor.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27 (2,884 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Mine picks up my location fine using 3G and just wifi. I'm one of the lucky ones going by this forum :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (2,879 Views)