14 Jun 2012
Playstation Staff

Slow Renderer Times On Vita.

[ Edited ]
6 Replies 419 Views edited 14-06-2012

Hey We've been doing a few experiments with PS:M, and are getting some very slow renderer times(on the vita).

We are rendinger on model at about 1500 vertices and it totally kills performace.

We are using Basic Program, and Basic Model.

Also is there an optimum texture size?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7 (419 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Slow Renderer Times On Vita.

Hi:

Could you please give more info about why is slow?, I just want to know =). I hear a lot about that but I don't own a Vita.

Cheer,

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7 (368 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Not really, we have a model less than 1500 vertices. Running on the vita using there code results in a completly unplayable framerate, just with that 1 model.

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7 (365 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

I can't comment on the performance of BasicEffect and BasicModel but using my own model renderer and custom shaders I have scenes with many such objects of that fidelity with no problems on the Vita.

As for texture size, it really comes down to common sense. There's no point using 1024x1024 textures on a character if he's only ever going to be seen at like a quarter the size of the screen. Similarly, for scene objects use low resolution textures for anything that's not going to take up a large part of the screen.

Martin Caine
Founder and Lead Programmer of Retroburn Game Studios

Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (344 Views)
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Thanks.

We have our suspicions that there is something in BasicModels draw call. We managed to increase the vertices by playing with the modleconverter.cfg, we are up to about 3000 before poor framerate kicks in.

Can I ask are your experince related to the vita directly?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7 (342 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Hi:

So far I'm not using the BasicModel or any other samples code. Like Martin I run my own renderer etc, etc etc, but I saw in youtube the RPG demo running good enough on Vita so it's strange. Although 1500 vertices it's not seems bigger to kill performance. I really need a vita...=(.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7 (336 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Yeah I just dropped one of my models in to the model renderer sample using BasicModel and BasicProgram. This is a 2000 poly character with 64 bones and 100 frames of animation. I'm rendering it 4 times to the screen with different animations and it's fine even on the Xperia Play and Vita.

Martin Caine
Founder and Lead Programmer of Retroburn Game Studios

Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (331 Views)