Level 1

Playstation Staff

Re: BEPUPhysics for PS Suite - Download

I have a vita, but ill post back results tomorrow morning. About to go to bed lol

Come join The Freenode IRC at Channel #pss-dev!

I am merely a graphics designer who wants to program, go figure.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16 (306 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

I've been using BEPU in one of my PSS games for a while now and it runs pretty well in low complexity scenes (seen slowdown with just a few hundred simple geometric shapes). That was also after some tweaking with most of the settings of the Space and running it async multi-threaded too.

Funnily enough it performs almost the same on Xperia Play as it does ont he Vita and performs best on the Tablet S. It seems raw processor speed seems to count the most with the physics simulation.

As for performance, I ran some tests to see if it'd be worth rewriting the BEPU code to use the inbuilt PSS Vector3 and other classes. I actually found that the generic Vector3 struct in BEPU's dependency free fork was faster than the one built in to PSS! I This is likely due to the increased size and complexity of the inbuilt Vector3 object and it seems the inbuilt Vector and Math functions do not use any hardware acceleration features like SIMD.

We've been suggesting improvements to the core framework and if the Vector and Matrix classes/structs can be optimized to perform much faster then it will be worth converting everything over.

Martin Caine
Founder and Lead Programmer of Retroburn Game Studios

Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16 (295 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

@telos157 & @TeamICE2: I checked with Martin and he said that BEPU is completely managed.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16 (287 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Anyone test it yet?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16 (237 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

I was but theres no main program to run. And im too lazy :\ Unless someone has a project already made with it so I can test I cant atm.

Come join The Freenode IRC at Channel #pss-dev!

I am merely a graphics designer who wants to program, go figure.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16 (202 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

No problem.  I think I have a sample that I made somewhere in my projects folder.  Keep checking back.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16 (188 Views)
0 Kudos