Photobucket
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 52 (216 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

Re: Internet Explorer 7 Tax

They should Tax people for using the PS3 Web browser as well.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 52 (210 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Spotter5 wrote:
I use IE6

You are the 0.6% :smileytongue:

Battlelog - The Battlefield Sunday Event: Sundays 8pm
and Battlefield 4 DLC Wednesdays, at 8pm
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 52 (207 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Orla-Ireland wrote:

They should Tax people for using the PS3 Web browser as well.

They should certainly shoot the people that created it.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 52 (206 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

I'm Australian and work in IT and I think the IE7 tax has both good and bad elements.

Its good in that it will encourage most users to upgrade their browser to a later version.

Its bad for the web merchant because the people who are unable to upgrade their browser will stop shopping at their website. People who spend all day at work shopping online in IE7 (because the IT team isnt able to upgrade to IE8+ due to compatability or vendor support reasons) will suffer the most from this tax and its not fair on them.

If keeping their site compatable with older version of IE is a cost issue then its simple enough to keep the site that does work with it and direct people using said browsers to that site.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 52 (189 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

You're not really supposed to be shopping online in work anyway, and if the tech guys at work cant manage a simple browser upgrade then you should complain to the guy who pays them that the software is years out of date and possibly open to security attacks.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 52 (184 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

fenian wrote:

You're not really supposed to be shopping online in work anyway, and if the tech guys at work cant manage a simple browser upgrade then you should complain to the guy who pays them that the software is years out of date and possibly open to security attacks.

Just because you are shopping online doesn't mean it's for personal reasons. Also if it for personal reasons you can shop online during a persons lunch break.

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 52 (176 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

fenian wrote:

It's not as simple as you may think. Especially in a larger organisation. To upgrade all the PCs to a later version of Internet Explorer requires the approval of CAB (Change Advisory Board) and to get that approval the change must be fully documented with backout plans and proof that the current software will not be affected by the upgrade. Custom browser extensions, ActiveX controls and standard websites must be tested to ensure compatibility and modified if they don't. Another barrier is 3rd party software vendors not supporting their webapplication on later versions of IE.

In todays modern IT environment all changes have to go through rigorous change management procedures. We can thank ITIL for that :smileyvery-happy:

So as you can see its not a simple process. But like you say people shouldn't be shopping online while at work, but lets face it - a lot of people do.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Kudos". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Remember to always backup your data.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 52 (170 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

It's bad enough paying for delivery charges and the product purchase itself without adding an inconvenience tax with it. I hope that after Microsoft have screwed their brains back in, that they'll soon realise that this is the worst tax idea to be generated in history of computing. I hope no other company like Google or Firefox will follow suit. 

Why Internet Explorer 7 and why not IE8 or IE9 for that matter, the sceme doesn't make sense in my book cos' all them three are rubbish browsers anyway and that's going on my personal experience: They're Slow, complex and jumbled. Google is more faster, as a more detailed search and is more user freindly.

"Microsoft are thieves in disguise" is how I sum the corporation up.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/69344 - Please sign

To PlayStation... Semper Fidelis
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 52 (166 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

LarasAider wrote:

It's bad enough paying for delivery charges and the product purchase itself without adding an inconvenience tax with it. I hope that after Microsoft have screwed their brains back in, that they'll soon realise that this is the worst tax idea to be generated in history of computing. I hope no other company like Google or Firefox will follow suit. 

Why Internet Explorer 7 and why not IE8 or IE9 for that matter, the sceme doesn't make sense in my book cos' all them three are rubbish browsers anyway and that's going on my personal experience: They're Slow, complex and jumbled. Google is more faster, as a more detailed search and is more user freindly.

"Microsoft are thieves in disguise" is how I sum the corporation up.

It's not MS that's taxing them it's a website owner.

You can't save time only spend it.
Sneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 52 (160 Views)
0 Kudos