09 Oct 2011
Playstation Staff

Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

21 Replies 7,043 Views Created 09-10-2011

I refused to play Demon's Souls after realising you could not copy the save files (not including the PSN+ online backup service) effectively making the game a waste of money for me. 

I would like to know if the same applies to the sequel. 

Killzone 2 had copy-protected save files whereas Killzone 3 does not.

I'm hoping the same applies to Dark Souls. 

Oh and this is just for backup purposes as I prefer not to pay extra money for the convenience of an online backup service which may or may not continue to exist in the foreseeable future. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22 (7,043 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Does Dark Souls have Save File protection?

Out of interest, why does this make it a waste of money?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22 (7,034 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Yes it is locked but i had a new slim the day after i got dark souls so used the online storage with psn to back up.

symonator.net

My Youtube:: 1080p Gaming
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22 (7,017 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Why are saves protected anyway we should be able to back are saves up.I dont agree with haveing to pay for a service for backing are saves up.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22 (6,995 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

[ Edited ]

Soilderblue wrote:

Why are saves protected anyway we should be able to back are saves up.I dont agree with haveing to pay for a service for backing are saves up.

The main reason games potect saves is to stop game save hacking and trophy glitching, also it stops you from cheating, for example you have some rare weapons youy drop them for an online buddy and afterwards  you delete your save and copy it back so you still have the rare weapons, you can still do that if your a PS+ member but I would hope that people wouldn't do it as it ruins part of what Dark/Demon's Souls is about,

Teh gamer is doing a 24 hour game a thon for Shrewsbury and Telford hospital please give what you can here https://www.justgiving.com/Ifor-Edwards1
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22 (6,946 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

In response to Pie1862's question: 

When I realised my data would remain vunerable I stopped playing Demon's Souls. 

Buying a game that I do not play is (to me) a waste of money. 

Thank you Symonator for answering my question. Though my response has been late I am grateful. 

I completely agree with Soilderblue. It is unfair to attempt to force forward-thinking gamers to pay to back up the progress they have put time and effort into accumulating. 

Teh-gamer, while this action may reduce some instances of cheating it forces all gamers to take the risk of losing their save data should a console or hard drive fail. 

In my oppinion, if movement of save data must be restricted then locking a save file to a user's PSN I.D should sufficiently reduce exploitation while restricting the risk to the user's account details as opposed a console or hard drive. Though I imagine this still means that should a user loose access to his/her account for any reason they would also be unable to access their save data. 

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22 (6,506 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Expanse_ wrote:

In response to Pie1862's question: 

I understand that buying a game you're not going to play is a waste of money (most of us have done it I'm sure), but it seems a shame you're not willing to play Demon's Souls because there's a risk you'll lose your data.

I know from experience what you mean, I had to restart after finsihing the game but not getting full completion when my old phat PS3 died. But, I enjoy the game so started again and am happy to say got platinum after around NG++++ and can absolutely say it's the most I've got out of any video game I've ever played. (And I've been playing casually since the space invader/pong days).

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22 (6,484 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

If game developers insist on locking the saved game file at the expense of legitimate users loosing their saves, Sony should provide free access to the backup cloud for all PSN users. People pay enough for games and for gaming hardware. Backup is a fundamental feature that should be included free of charge.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22 (6,480 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 4

Playstation Staff

tbh plus is only around 3-4 pounds a month, hardly going to break the bank for anyone, if you are so concerned about your data being lost its really not that far out of reach, plus you get games!
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22 (6,464 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

Expanse_ wrote:

LOL why not play it until if and when your data corrupts, and then stop playing? Sounds like you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot to me.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22 (6,455 Views)
0 Kudos